Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Eye Allergy to Contact Lens Solution?
JBahmiller posted:
Has anyone had an allergic reaction to contact lens solution develop?
I've been having problems with my contacts lately and I think I have figured out some of the problem. I'm just not sure how to figure out the best solution.

I wear disposable lenses. With the last set I opened and wore them all day at work (Friday). I took them out and was fine. Then I wore them on Sun for 1/2 day and my eyes the next morning were crazy red. After thinking about it, the difference was the solution that I used. So I tried a different solution. I rinsed the lenses and placed them overnight in a new solution. Put them in yesterday for 1/2 day and this morning they were crazy red again.

Am I trying the right thing? Or is there a better way to try to solve this problem? I really enjoy wearing contacts, but I'm thinking that I may not be able to do so anymore. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Gatorgirl2012 responded:
Yes! I've been wearing contacts for years and never had an issue like this but what you're describing is very similar to what I experienced as well: itching and burning, goopy eyes, swelling. Even after I take them out my eyes feel scratched and irritated.

I called the doctor and he did say that it sounds like something, I don't remember what, but a reaction to the solution that's causing the inside of my upper eyelid to basically break out. He said that it goes away in a few weeks but to change solutions to a hypoallergenic type like Aosept.

I'm taking a break from the contacts for a while to keep the irritation down. Hopefully this helps you!

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center