Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lactose intolerant, or allergic to almonds??
beachmommy23angels posted:
For a long time, I was having smoothies almost every morning made with Greek yogurt, almond milk, some kind of berries, ground flax seed, and a little bit of agave nectar to sweeten. At some point in the past few months, I began having severe stomach pains within 30 minutes of finishing the smoothie. It didn't matter whether I used almond milk or 1% milk - I still got a bad stomach ache. I stopped having the smoothies, and the pains went away. Then I remembered that, awhile back, I found I would get stomach pains if I ate almonds (I used to use them as a mid-morning snack, just a handful, and had to stop). After having not made the smoothies for awhile, I made one again - greek yogurt, berries, and 1% milk - no almonds and no flax seed. I had bad stomach pains again. These pains always take a couple of hours to subside and at times leave me curled up on my side in bed unless I'm at work. I have had to teach sitting in a chair at the front of my classroom, slightly bent over, the pains were so bad. They start right under my sternum and radiate out and into my back, and the rest of my abdomen bloats.
So I am really confused - could I be somewhat lactose intolerant? Or allergic to almonds? Or both? Because milk does not do this to me. I can drink a great big glass of it (unless it's first thing in the morning!), and it has no effect on me. Can Greek yogurt hurt my stomach? It seems like, if it was the yogurt, then milk would hurt my stomach, too. Any ideas??
Thanks!

SensitiveSniffles responded:
I am both allergic to almonds and to milk. Milk gives me cramps as well.

I am not a doctor but I would try eating each of the foods in your smoothie separately and perhaps that will let you know what the offending food is specifically.

However, just a thought check the ingredients on each food you put into your smoothie as well the allergy could be to an ingredient in the food itself.

If that is the case it is a real pain I know from experience. Good luck to you.

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center