Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Always feeling hot
An_247037 posted:
Hello-
First, the basics: I'm 30 y/o female, 5'9" 125lbs. I'm a non-smoker, I rarely drinking (and even then only have like one glass of wine), I work out regularly, and I eat healthy.

I have no known diseases, disorders, or viruses. However, 2 years ago I got a cold. I got a little better for about a week, and then got another cold, and then (yes, you guessed it) a third. I finally went to a doctor who said I must have a sinus infection making me susceptible to all these colds. He put me on the antibiotic Bactrim and the nasal steroid Nasonex. Within a few days though, I began feeling like my skin was on fire. I was SO hot all the time. I had my A/C cranked up, and I could barely stand to be in the sun or any warm environment. So, I went back to the doctor, who said I was probably just having a bad reaction to the Bactrim. He switched me to a Z-pack and just told me the hot feeling would go away. He said, "don't worry about it." But it never went away.

I have gone back and seen many doctors now. No one can tell me what's wrong. I have had all my hormones, thyroid (all the typical culprits for feeling overheated) checked, and everything is absolutely negative or in a normal range. I am not in menopause or peri-menopause. And I've reached the end of my rope. I desperately want a solution. I feel like I do everything right (in terms of lifestyle choices), so I can't understand the origin of this problem? It came on SO suddenly, I thought it would be an acute thing, but it has become a chronic thing instead.

I should add that a year into this ordeal I began to break out in hives (without any known cause). I thought they might be related, and so I wondered if there might be an allergy to blame for all of this? But the only medication I take is Zyrtec (to keep the hives away), and it does nothing for the overwhelming feeling of being overheated all the time.

I'm desperate for advice. Anything would be great! But please, I've heard the "maybe you're hyperthyroid" a million times. Please don't repeat it. I've been tested twice, and I'm absolutely not. My hormones are also completely normal. There just has to be another answer. Thank you!!!

flashmaster responded:
Have you thought about using a Probiotic? All of the Antiboitic's that you have taken will kill the good bacteria that the body needs. Do some research first.

Laughlin100 responded:
I am having a similar issue feeling overly hot all the time while those around me are cold.........I recently felt worse the day I ate alot of whole wheat bread for breakfast (special loaf made by a grocery store very whole) so I thought I would try a gluten free diet again, and think there might be an allergy component, I feel cooler since I stopped but also stopped coffee 100% at the same time so it may be hard for me to figure it out. Plus docs at ER think it is anxiety. good luck

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center