Skip to content
Morning allergies ... I'm okay until the moment I wake up
morgan1819 posted:
I sleep great at night, and wake up feeling perfect.

Within 1-2 minutes of waking up I start experiencing severe rhinitis symptoms. Sneezing and runny nose continue for the next couple of hours, generally stabilizing by afternoon.

I live in Michigan, and experience this typically July through October.

It makes no sense to me why I feel fine for the first 8 hours in bed, but major symptoms start within a minute or two of waking up every day.

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hiya and welcome

Talk to your doc about this, but it could be build up when laying down, I know for me things pool and don't have a chance to drain when I sleep and I wake kinda foggy and then get symptomatic. I'm not a health care professional so you need to check with your doctor. But sometimes this very thing happens to me.
Let us know how you are doing please.

Aqua14 responded:
There is an interesting article explaining this on the National Jewish hospital website (National Jewish is the nation's premier respiratory hospital). The link is here:
http://www.nationaljewish.org/about/mediacenter/pressreleases/y2007/time-medications/

In a nutshell, allergies are worse in the morning due to the body's circadian rhythms. My understanding from other readings is that the body's concentration of cortisol, a corticosteroid produced by the body, is lowest in the morning. Cortisol acts to inhibit allergic responses. So, lower cortisol concentration, worsening allergies.

The advice in the article is to take your allergy meds at night before you go to bed, so that they are at full effectiveness in the morning. A long-lasting antihistamine like Zyrtec would be best, because a short-acting antihistamine like Benadryl will not last throughout the night. (Zyrtec lasts 24 hours, Benadryl lasts only 4 hours.) If you currently take a nasal steroid like Flonase or Nasonex, you can take a dose of that at night as well. (I wouldn't take a Zyrtec-D at night, though, because the decongestant in it will tend to cause sleeplessness.)

You don't indicate what you are allergic to, but if you are allergic to dust mites, getting out of bed in the morning will stir up dust mite allergen and cause you to react. Putting allergen covers on your pillows and mattress will help reduce dust mite allergen.

Also, don't open your windows during the night, because pollen is released very early in the morning and will drift in to your room, causing symptoms if you are pollen-allergic.

Hope these thoughts help, and hope you have better mornings. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center