Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Bean allergy
    summerlive posted:
    I also have a bean allergy and I found out when I was 4. I mainly react to baked beans. When I eat them, my face breaks out in hives, my lips swell up completely, my tongue feels strange and I get a severe tummy ache. When I visited a hospital, they had found that my throat had closed up but it hadn't closed up enough to stop me breathing. I thought it was just the soup in the baked beans but now i am reacting to the bean itself. I have been avoiding it completely but now, it has become so severe that even if someone was to touch me after getting baked beans on their hands etc. I have an allergic reaction, should i visit the hospital again?
    Aqua14 responded:
    You should visit a board-certified allergist and get an epi-pen, which is an epinephrine auto-injector that can save your life before you get to the hospital. Take care & good luck. Judy
    It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

    Helpful Tips

    Eczema CareExpert
    Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center