Skip to content
Insect Sting/Hives
MikeSierra1 posted:
I recently was stung several times by several bees (unsure of what type... the bee did not leave a stinger behind). There was the typical acute pain and swelling which I expected from previous bee sting incidents.

However, 20 minutes after this I began suffering from hives which covered a large portion of my body to include the crotch, arm pits and elbow area. There was a lot of itching, but no swelling. I took 2 doses of Benadryl (Over a 6 hour period) and the symptoms went away. The symptoms at best could be described as uncomfortable and annoying. There were no other significant symptoms which accompanied the hives.

As a I understand it (from the reading I have done on the net), hives resulting from a bee sting are very bad as these hives could trigger anaphylactic shock and that I should probably see an allergist.

Am I right in my concerns? I have never had any sort of issue in terms of allergies in any of my medical history and I am surprised that I had such an acute reaction from this sting. I have been stung before, but never had hives until now.

-Mike

Aqua14 responded:
Yes, you should see an allergist and discuss this reaction -- it does sound allergic. Allergies can arise at any time, and perhaps because you were stung by so many bees it was the amount of the venom that triggered the reaction (possibly you would not have reacted if only stung by one bee.) If the allergist does suspect bee sting allergy, he/she would prescribe an epi pen to protect you should you get stung in the future.

The good news is, if it is bee/wasp allergy, you could start allergy shots and in 3-5 years your sensitivity to bee stings could be greatly reduced such that you wouldn't be in danger if you did get stung. I'm a big advocate of allergy shots since I'm in year 6 of my shots (for pollen/mold/pets) and they have worked wonderfully for me.

Hope these thoughts help. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center