Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
On going hives
dpfrogner posted:
My hives and angieoedema started when we were in Scotland on vacation. I broke out in hives and my face swelled up and we called medical help. I was put on prednisone and an antihistamine ... once I was back home in the states the hives and swelling went away for a few days while I was still on the meds. A few days after meds were done, they returned. The Dr. in Scotland and the Dr. here along with myself and my husband believe the "Trigger" is no-see-ums or midges as they are called in Scotland. I have tried more prednisone along with Benadryl, Zantac, and Allegra. I am currently taking a 24 hour Allegra in the morning, a 12 hour Zantac in the morning and another in the evening, a 4 hour Benadryl in the morning and then 1 more every 4 hours ... the hives still come back every morning along with some swelling on my face but all is gone by noon most days. On the days when I go outside for any period of time in the early morning or in the evening (the times when the no-see-ums are out at their worst) the next day I have more hives and swelling. The general physician, the dermatologists and the allergists all seem to agree that it will take time and continued antihistamines before this will let up. I have read all of the postings from other peoples experience with hives for a period of time. I am going to try the Taiwan guys remedy of drinking 2 qts. of water everyday. 16 ozs. every 3 hours. I have had a complete work up of my blood, urine and stool and the results all came back showing I am a very healthy woman ... so the good news was I had no internal problems or desease from the hives and angieoedema. We are all puzzled as to what and why I am allergic to! What would have started this cycle in Scotland and what is here that would continue the cycle ... no-see-ums. We have looked at all food, plant, animals and nothing seems to connect. Iwould like to hear from others who are experiencing anything like this ... for now I will try the water remedy and see what happens. I will keep you posted.

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center