Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
diagnosed with multiple food allergies but no physical symptoms
reed192830385 posted:
Hello,

I'm a 22 year old male who just got some allergy tests back yesterday saying I'm highly allergic to eggs, and am also allergic to cow dairy products, apples, and whey protein. Theses are all foods I've consumed in high quantities my whole life. And the only reaction I've ever had was to eggs when I was a baby (my face puffed up). Since then I eat eggs every week and eat tons of dairy with no problems. I'm told I have to stop eating these foods yet I feel greatly frustrated because I feel completely normal after I eat any of the foods I'm "allergic" to.

Let me provide a little back story...

Several months ago I got some blood work back saying my DHEA and testosterone levels were alarmingly low,(like 85 year old man low). This diagnosis too came with no physical symptoms. I'm very healthy and have developed into a man fully. I immediately began DHEA supplementation and other blood test so my Dr. could try to determine the cause of my low hormone levels. We did pituitary gland tests, and heavy metals tests which both came back normal. My Dr. then thought the problem might be the result of food allergies, which cause disruption and irritation in the intestines. I don't remember the exact explanation however essentially the irritation from food allergens sucks my dhea and other hormones away from testosterone production.

My immediate question was why I had no immediate physical symptoms to having both low testosterone and food allergies. His explanation was these damages being caused were going to be apparent in the long term years and years from now.

My questions to you guys are, Have you ever heard of having food allergies such eggs and dairy but with no immediate symptoms? And are there any studies available which show these allergies cause damage to the intestines in the long term? Also could an egg or dairy allergy cause hormonal disruptions to DHEA and testosterone?

Thanks for any input, right now all I have to work with is my blood work. I just really want to know all about these topics before I cut out some of my favorite foods for the rest of my life.

coughy16 responded:
Having an allergy to the point where you have to completely avoid something but eating it in abundance without ever having symptoms seems pretty unusual to me. I would definitely seek out a second opinion. I assume that the bloodwork was rerun to make sure there was no error?

reed192830385 replied to coughy16's response:
I'm not sure if they reran the bloodwork. I'm just really frustrated because the dr's explanation was the allergy will cause damage and not cause problems until decades from now and i'm just supposed to blindly believe that.

Helpful Tips

Medications
Check your computer or smart phone before you pay for a Prescribed drug. Your MD does not know the "inactive" ingredients" the computer can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center