Skip to content
Alergies to Air Conditioning
kittenheels posted:
Ok i moved for the UK to Florida a month ago, i always had little problems with the air con when on vacation. Now that i live here i am having major problems, Not a day goes bye that i don't sneeze constantly, have a runny nose, once i clear my nose it gets blocked up, i also have some problems swallowing where my airways seem to close, I try to keep the air con off during the day but (this also has an effect on my breathing) and only put it on at night, however i have been woken up from a deep sleep in the night when the air con kicks in and i start the whiole process again. Im healthy, i'm not overweigth and i go to the Gym. has anyone got any answers or ideas whats going on?

Aqua14 responded:
You need to consult an allergist to get evaluated and tested. Air conditioners are notorious for harboring mold, but Florida is a hotbed of pollen and molds, so it could be anything and several things at once.

In the meantime while waiting for your appointment, try taking Zyrtec, an oral antihistamine. If congestion is a major problem, try Zyrtec-D. Taking either of these once a day will likely help. If Zyrtec makes you drowsy, try taking it at night.

An allergist would be able to add on medications to the Zyrtec that would help prevent reactions -- such as a nasal steroid, like Flonase or Nasonex, which will combat congestion without some of the side effects of decongestants (sleeplessness, increased blood pressure).

Hope this helps - take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Helpful Tips

Medications
Check your computer or smart phone before you pay for a Prescribed drug. Your MD does not know the "inactive" ingredients" the computer can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center