Skip to content
About to lose my mind over sinus!!!
An_248675 posted:
I have never had any major sinus problems in my life until a month and half ago. On Aug 15 2012 I started working in a mall and about a month in I started getting a little sick. Mostly post nasal drip. I talked to my sister who's an RN and she said use Aleve -D which worked for a week. But my sinus problem progressively got worse. Then I went to a take care clinic and was prescribed amoxicillin. It didn't seem work. I went back again and was given a Promethazine Dm syrup, Flonase, and Dospak 21's. Didn't work. By now I started to have weird reaction in my sinus when I walked into the mall. The back of my throat would get dry and wouldn't allow for mucus drainage. I literally started chocking! I had to run out of the mall! Later I saw my brothers physician who saw me and said that I was getting sick but working in all that nasty air caused me to become allergic to the environment. I should now wear a mask.He proceeded to give me something stronger. Fluvirin Multidose pack, Prednosone, Amox-Clav, and Hydromet syrup.The first day back to work I wore a mask and was having post nasal drip from hell. Then it would stop. then start again. The next day I woke up with an appetite from hell and was ready for the world! I felt great! I'm thinking ok problem solved. Boy was I wrong I started going backwards again. I then went to an actual ENT who said that my turbinates were irratated. So do a neti pot. I did and it seemed to work OK. Felt fine the next day. I even went to the mall to see how I reacted. Went in and walked. I'm thinking FINALLY! Then I accidentally burned my sinus when I mixed the saline improperly that same night. After a day and a half of singed sinus I did it again RIGHT this time and it seemed to work. Felt good enough to go to church that Sunday. The next day same thing. Problems with my turbinates swelling up. And couldn't pull mucus out normally(if there's such a thing). Walking into working I had to run out. Now I'm about to see same ENT for a more thorough exam. I've done Allegra-D, Zrtec, and a Claritin knock-off. I just don't understand what's going on with me. I'm getting scared and I can't do my job. I'm a cartoonist and I run a family business with my brother at this particular mall. My mother's thinks it's psychological and is frustrated. But I know how I fell. Currently I'm going through a divorce as well and feel extremely stressed out. But the divorce doesn't stress like this does. Why am I having these reaction and up and down inconsistent health. The ironic part was I spent a lot of money because at the time my insurance was not set up yet. I now have to wait 6 days before it kicks in and I feel bad now. I have been praying a lot and I hope God hears my prayers on getting healthy again. I have a beautiful daughter and would like it if her dad's healthy and sane for her while going through a weird time in her life.
If any one out there can help me please, please tell me what's up with me. Are my reactions valid?

flashmaster responded:
I've reading the many posts about chronic mucus in the throat. I've been there — done that for many years. I've seen 4 different doctors without any positive results and tried MANY - MANY Rx's. I've been tested for allergies, asthma and GERD and I'm not a smoker. I not knocking the medical community but they seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to this condition. With the help of some on-line postings and some research, I've come upon some promising results.

Antibiotics seem to be a common denominator. When a doctor prescribes an antibiotic it kills all the bacteria [good and bad> in your system — this is good when you are ill since it eliminates what was making you ill. However the elimination of the good bacteria has consequences. [Please note that I'm not a medical professional so my descriptions/explanations may not be stated well but this is what I've pieced together with some research> There is a relationship in the body between mucus and good bacteria. If the good bacteria are not adequate, the body produces mucus as protection.

With my condition, I separated it to a mucus problem and a post-nasal drip problem. First the mucus - Probiotics are designed to replace the good bacteria. They are not new and have been around for a long time and there is a lot of information available on them — doing your own research is recommended. In my case, I've been prescribed antibiotics many times over the years but never replaced the good bacteria. So I started with a low dose of Probiotic and worked up. [I currently take 3 capsules 2X daily> This has reduced the mucus in my throat a lot — maybe 80% or more.

Next the post-nasal drip. This is still a work in progress. Over-the-counter decongestants aren't a solution for me — Sudafed-like compounds mess with my blood pressure. So thanks to another on-line posting, I'm trying lemon water with cayenne pepper in it — not a lot of pepper but enough to give it a little warmth. [Yes, I know this sounds like a witch's brew but it's really not so bad> So far, so good! It seems to be working.

I hope this information works. Good luck.

Follow this URL for more info on chronic sinus problems:
http://markstengler.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/chronic_sinus.pdf

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center