Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HELP! Buckwheat Allergy
kristylynn5 posted:
Hi everyone. After being sick for quite some time, I finally got allergy tested. One of the more severe foods I reacted to was buckwheat. I was told to stay away from any products containing this. Though it is in most gluten free foods as a wheat supplement, I have also learned it is also used in other products mixed with their flour. I also learned that it is in citrus fruits and also onions and apple peels. I'm having great trouble dertermining what foods I CAN'T EAT. I recently had Barilla Past becase the ingredients had no mention of Buckwheat; it just said contains wheat ingredients. I got very sick and when I looked online, the website said that buckwheat is a primary ingredient in that brand of pasta, yet it was not written on the box. Can anyone help me as to how I can determine products containing buckwheat, even if it's not listed on their package? There is not much out there on the net. Thank you in advance!

katesmit responded:
Sorry to hear of your allergy to buckwheat. It can be found in a wide range of foods including pasta, bread, pizza, cereal, pancakes, honey, all sorts of baked goods/crusts, soba noodles, grain alcohol, and I regret to say it the list goes on. You must be extremely careful of anything that says whole grains or wheat - and especially multi grain - because buckwheat is often an ingredient but not specifically listed. If you dine out I would advise not bothering to ask the waiter if an item has buckwheat in it because most often they'll give you the wrong information even after "asking the chef". - Yes even in the best NYC restaurants. I was once told the more you eat a food that you're allergic to (like when you had the Barilla Past) the more allergic you become (the reaction worsens). Don't know how much truth there is to it. Food allergies are life threatening so it's best to do your ingredients research before buying if you want to find certain foods like bread, cereal, pasta, etc. Alternatively you can switch out those things for a clean diet, no sauces, switch out starches for quinoa and that sort of thing. Good luck. p.s. you may want to make a note of rhubarb and other foods in the buckwheat family. p.p.s. be careful when you're in Japanese / Chinese / Thai restaurants

katesmit responded:
"I also learned that it is in citrus fruits and also onions and apple peels"

I have never heard of this before. I've never had a bad reaction to them. Why would they cause a buckwheat reaction and who told you this?

I want to alert you to the surprising fact that buckwheat can be found in cosmetic products. For example, Giorgio Armani has an eye cream with crushed pearls and buckwheat. You should check the different names that it can be listed under. You'll get used to checking ingredients.

An_251071 responded:
this will get you started and may explain your pasta reaction:

http://www.allergy-details.com/gluten-free-diet/buckwheat/

An_251071 responded:
What other names is Buckwheat known by? Alforf?n, Bl? Noir, Buchweizen, Fagopyrum esculentum, Fagopyrum sagittatum, Fagopyrum tataricum, Fagopyrum vulgare, Grano Turco, Polygonum tataricum, Sarrasin, Sarrasin Commun, Silverhull Buckwheat, Trigo Sarraceno.

andya61 replied to katesmit's response:
First, I wasn't sure of what it was. But then I checked and it's all natural. It's called quinoasure have anyone checked about that? here's the link I've found http://bit.ly/16z2Xd5 it says it's totally gluten free

kristylynn5 replied to katesmit's response:
Katesmit -

I can't thank you enough for all of the information you provided. I am seeing it now two months later as I began to stop checking in on the discussion and gave up. Thank you again. It was so helpful. I heard of it being mixed with other ingredients but began to get frustrated with it not being "listed". I appreciate you taking the time to share your knoweldge!

kristylynn5 responded:
Thank you everyone for taking the time to post your responses. They were all so very helpful!

pdonato replied to kristylynn5's response:
KristyLynn,
When visiting Paris in 2006 I ate a crepe with ham and cheese. It was delicious, but before I finished the crepe I began to show symptoms on an allergic reaction. Luckily, in Paris there are pharmacies everywhere and I walked into one where they called an ambulance. By this time I was having severe uncontrollable symptoms. Upon arriving at the hospital a team of doctors began working right away. I was dying of heart failure as a result of my blood thickening from the reaction. They put a tube into my thigh, as the veins in my arms were not functioning.
To state the obvious they saved my life (for less than $2000, insert comment on American health care here). Prior to this incident I never had a food allergy.

After being tested when I returned home I discovered Buckwheat was the cause. I think the advice people offered here is good. Additionally, I would be very cautious with: Kashi products, breakfast cereal (I have seen it in cereal in Trader Joe's and Whole Foods), noodles, any whole-wheat product (especially bread), anything gluten free, organic and gluten free beer, crackers, snack chips, crepes or pancakes you do not make yourself, any healthy snack bar, any baked good offered to you (buckwheat flour is common) any trendy/healthy restaurant (staff rarely knows ingredients and they are likely to use buckwheat in something), any food product containing the word "artisan" e.g. Tostitos Artisan contains Buckwheat, familiarize yourself with buckwheat's other known names (especially when you travel internationally, Wikipedia is good for this). Buckwheat is also commonly called "black wheat" (from French) and beech wheat. I hope this is helpful to you. I hope you are carrying an epi-pen.

take care

kristylynn5 replied to pdonato's response:
Pdanato-

I am so sorry this happened to you while in Paris. I'm so happy they were to help you and save your life. That must've been a scary incident. My reactions aren't as life threatening, but I do get very sick to my stomach, along with skin rashes/hives and often difficulty getting a good breath, however, this doesn't mean it can't potentially worsen. Thank you for all of the information you shared. I've been now staying away from all products containing whole wheat. Definitely not worth getting sick over. I hope you're well and not running into anymore unfortunate incidents.

Thank you again.

hollyre replied to kristylynn5's response:
Be very careful. Over the past 5 years I have had very small amounts of buckwheat (1 bite of Kashi cereal, 1 bite of Tostito Multi Grain chip, 1 bite of a soba noodle) and had scratchy, thick throat, naseous. The soba noodle made me think it was a buckwheat allergy so I went to an allergist and found I am allergic to buckwheat and that's it. I now carry an epi pen. Then a month ago I had a crepe at a market and after one bite I knew I had a problem. I immediately had symptoms that were much worse than in the past. Luckily I had help. Someone gave me the epi-pen shot right away and called the life squad. They gave me a shot of adrenalin and a shot of Benadryl and took me to the hospital. Once there I was given another shot of adrenalin and another of Benadryl. My eyes were almost swollen shut and my whole face swelled and I was covered in hives. I spent a few hours in the ER and was better. I left with the doctor telling me to carry 2 epi-pens at all times. I am now extremely careful to check ingredients. I'm going to put a list of other names for buckwheat on my phone.

clucasang99 responded:
Hi, KristyLynn5

I just found out the same thing. My Dr. said that most processed foods have this. But what baffles me is that it's in raw foods, but in gluten free but in pastas etc... How do you know what it really is in, esp given that majority of the time nothing says "buckwheat" And I am allergic to corn, almonds... it's so rough or hard to understand... Have you figured out what exactly to cut out or stop eating or if it doesn't say "buckwheat" then what would it actually be listed as?

kristylynn5 replied to clucasang99's response:
Hi clucasang99,

I'm sorry to hear of your allergy diagnosis. It certainly isn't easy, especially with an allergy such as ours where it isn't exactly listed on the ingredients and there isn't much out there on the Internet regarding products containing it. I was unaware about it being present in all process foods, so thank you for the bit of information. One doctor actually told me to pretty much stay away from any flour based products. The only pasta I will consume is that made of pure brown rice. I do not eat anything that has wheat flour, bleached flour, etc. It sounds difficult, but following this, I have noticed there are SO MANY foods out there that do not contain flour. Needless to say, I just do not eat bread, certain snacks, dough products, and pastas. If you are a snacker, LAYS is great. Typically gluten free AND soy free and most of their products do not contain flours! Be careful with gluten free products. Buckwheat is an ingredient used in gluten free products as a flour replacement. In that case it WILL say buckwheat. Please keep me posted if you learn any other information regarding this! Thank you, and good luck!

clucasang99 replied to kristylynn5's response:
Hi again!

I called to ask the Dr.'s office and was told if it has buckwheat it will be specific to saying "buckwheat" and the confusing part is that the internet really doesn't clarify much about this. I did find that beers have it, as well as pillows. I bought pasta "gluten free" and didn't find buackwheat on the back. As for processed foods, they say it's in majority of the processed food out there but honestly how do we figure that out? Like does fast foods then? I just wonder if it's not necessarily a wheat but a substitute.. will they put it in under something else? So confused... And it'd crazy because there are cross examinations with food allergies... but they don't really explain...

kristylynn5 replied to clucasang99's response:
Hi again!

Yes, I feel there are so many mixed opinions regarding Buckwheat. It is not a wheat, it is a fruit seed. A fruit seed which is used in many flours as a mixed in ingredient, so the fact that they say it will be listed in the ingredients is false. They say that many companies will use this ingredient to make their flours have more flavor. It is very confusing, which is why I was told to stay away from flour based products. Stinks, but it gets easier the longer you do it.

Helpful Tips

Herbal health care product
Herbs Solutions By Nature is just the right destination for all those who have been looking for a herbal cure to their relevant disease. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center