Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Swollen Face, bruising, nausea
salemandcheza posted:
I'm not even sure if allergy is the right place for this.... 2 days ago, I noticed a bump under my chin. I get hormonal acne around this time of month so I thought it was cystic acne coming in. I'll admit I am bad about leaving stuff on my face alone (its actually a real problem for me) so I did pick at it (and believe me I know I shouldn't have), but nothing worse than I normally do. Fast forward to Christmas eve (yesterday) I wake up to an extremely swollen face with the swelling really coming from that 1 spot with the bump. I also woke up vomitting... My face continued to swell to the point of pain and extreme uncomfort from the pressure. The area that once had the bump is bruised, red, and very inflamed from the swelling. Last night I iced, took some ibuprofin and tumeric for inflamation. I also applied cortisone cream and neosporin to my face around the bump.This helped bring things down, but my face was still very swollen this morning and I still have extreme nausea to the point of vomitting. I'm at a loss but the closest thing I can compare this to is some sort of allergic response. It feels similar to the 24-48 hours of after effect I get after consuming crab by accident (which Im very allergic to) but I can't explain the bump. Given that is is Christmas day, no way am I getting into the doctor. I do have some prednisone around from past allergy/asthma problems and I'm thinking about putting myself on a regimine for a few days to kill the inflamation. Also, I have continued the hydroxyzine and creams. Any other ideas what I can do today to start getting rid of this?? I leave for vacation in 2 days and I really would prefer not to look monstrous.

salemandcheza responded:
Just a follow up to say the prednisone brought down the swelling considerably and I'm feeling less sick. Still don't look so hot but it is some improvement.

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center