Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
mucus phlegm and vomiting
phlegm posted:
i'm embarassing to my family and friends.
i have allergies, like to exercise everyday, eat well, but have excesive post nasal drip, phlegm, which causes me to cough, spit, and vomit. it is worse when i get a cold. it is worse when i exercise (i carry a water bottle which helps), after i eat, take a shower, and brush my teeth. i have tried all allergy medicines, nasal sprays, mucinex, tea, lemon, gargle with salt water, steam room, had deviated septum fixed and pollups removed, nothing has helped. it has gotten worse as i have aged, 55. can't workout as hard as i used to. i swim 4 laps, have to take a drink of water, or i vomit. i used to be able to swim a few miles, run, bike, and more.
anyone have any suggestions?

Aqua14 responded:
Have you tried any of the following?

** Atrovent nasal spray. (The only action this has is to dry up a runny nose.)

** Acid reflux meds. (There is some evidence that exercise may cause acid reflux.)

** Daily saline sinus rinse. (This can help wash out impurities from the nose, and can be used pretty much as frequently as you need.)

Also, do you use a combination of meds to address your allergy symptoms? Most of us have to take an antihistamine plus some sort of nasal spray (steroid or antihistamine), and sometimes Singulair in addition to that.

If you give feedback on any of this I may have other suggestions. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

flashmaster responded:
I've reading the many posts about chronic mucus in the throat. I've been there — done that for many years. I've seen 4 different doctors without any positive results and tried MANY - MANY Rx's. I've been tested for allergies, asthma and GERD and I'm not a smoker. I not knocking the medical community but they seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to this condition. With the help of some on-line postings and some research, I've come upon some promising results.

Antibiotics seem to be a common denominator. When a doctor prescribes an antibiotic it kills all the bacteria [good and bad> in your system — this is good when you are ill since it eliminates what was making you ill. However the elimination of the good bacteria has consequences. [Please note that I'm not a medical professional so my descriptions/explanations may not be stated well but this is what I've pieced together with some research> There is a relationship in the body between mucus and good bacteria. If the good bacteria are not adequate, the body produces mucus as protection.

With my condition, I separated it to a mucus problem and a post-nasal drip problem. First the mucus - Probiotics are designed to replace the good bacteria. They are not new and have been around for a long time and there is a lot of information available on them — doing your own research is recommended. In my case, I've been prescribed antibiotics many times over the years but never replaced the good bacteria. So I started with a low dose of Probiotic and worked up. [I currently take 3 capsules 2X daily> THIS HAS STOPPED THE MUCUS IN MY THROAT!

Next the post-nasal drip. This is still a work in progress. Over-the-counter decongestants aren't a solution for me — Sudafed-like compounds mess with my blood pressure. So thanks to another on-line posting, I'm using lemon water with cayenne pepper in it — not a lot of pepper but enough to give it a little warmth. [Yes, I know this sounds like a witch's brew but it's really not so bad> So far, so good! It seems to be working.

I hope this information works. Good luck.

Follow this URL for more info on chronic sinus problems:
http://markstengler.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/chronic_sinus.pdf

vikkitoria37 replied to flashmaster's response:
Hi ive had the same for 2 years was diagnosed with a post nasal drip which because ive had it so long i now have acid reflux aswell so what works for me is licorice during the day and after meals but it must be natural you can get it from sainsburys in the sweet ile its called panda all natural soft licorice also try fennel tea they are both good for the digestive system and reduce mucus also look up the acid reflus diet small amouts every few hours i eat melon aswell that also helps too.

Helpful Tips

regain you taste and smell
I lost my sense of taste and smell 4 years ago and have had multiple operations as well as daily flushed my nose with Pulmacort . My doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center