Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Potato Allergy is now worst....
Kimjjln posted:
Hello. My name is Kim and I am 40 years old. I have 4 children and literally after I gave birth in the hospital to my daughter who is now 14 1/2, I became allergic to potatoes, even though I ate them all my life.[br>I didn't know it right away because I didn't eat potatoes all that often but when I did, I would have a terrible reaction…..my heart would start racing, then my throat would close up some….lips tingle….but I never was aware of food allergies and didn't know what was happening….at the time, I also had a lot going on so I thought it was panic attacks. This went on for a few months. I finally realized it was the potatoes…went to my doctor and told him, he told me to just avoid them, gave me a script for an epi-pen and sent me on my way. So over the years, I avoided them and as long as it wasn't a fry, potato chip, baked potato, mashed….I never read labels.[br>Last week, I was eating jolly ranchers chewy candy and after a few, started to have a terrible reaction.[br>I grabbed the pack and read the and saw it ingredients had potato starch. Since that day, I have been having reactions to a lot of things to the point that I guess I build up enough allergy that the slightest potato carrying product now effects me. Vitamin A Palminate which is in ALL LOW FAT DAIRY PRODUCTS….even imitation milk products like Soy Milk, Almond Milk because it is used as a filler. This is one of the hardest things to avoid because its in everything boxed! Also I have to avoid potato starch which is in everything too. Most yeast contains potato, except Red Star. I have to avoid all refined flour because of the vitamin A, its potatoes. I have to avoid Cellulose Gum. Very important….never realized this but for years, below my mouth would get irritated and red every time I would brush my teeth….red patches..that inflamed and itched…well, Cellulose is in most toothpaste!!! I did switch a few days ago to Arm and Hammer which doesn't contain it and seems to be ok. I am freaked out about Dextrose cause its in everything too and unless if I call each food item/company, I will not know if its potato based.[br>All shredded cheese contains potato starch. It keeps it from sticking together so now I have to buy blocked cheese and shred it myself. I did read that I can do that and freeze it in larger amounts.[br>Instant oatmeal packets contain potato. Almost all cereal contains Vitamin A Palminate. I love cereal and always used 1% Milk and low fat dairy so this is very hard for me. I love bread and bought a bread maker last night. I am used to fast food restaurants cause I am always on the go…..now its impossible because everything on the menu I can't eat. Even salad dressing is dangerous. I can only have homemade oil and vinagar dressing. All this time I ate Hellmann's Mayo…not realizing it contains potatoes. I can't have Iodide salt either. The list goes on an on.[br>Its as if a switch clicked on for all this to avoid. I feel like I am forced into diet mode (which I needed to go on one anyways and never did good sticking to them. But this is the rest of my life…Not something I can just give up on now. A week ago, my life wasn't so bad avoiding the basics of fries and chips. Now, this just sucks. Its depressing and I am scared to eat out anywhere. My life has been turned upside down.[br>I feel so bad for parents with kids with severe allergies because its a lot of reading, avoiding, prepping, and its just very very discouraging. : ([br>If anyone out there knows of other words in ingredients that I need to avoid that I have not listed, please take a moment and comment. I need all the help I can get right now.

mrswhitecastle responded:
Hi! I'm sorry you are going through all of this. I'm the parent of a child with food allergies. I don't understand completely what you are going through, but I can empathize.

It is so overwhelming, especially when you first discover a new allergy. It's hard and frustrating to read EVERY single label, EVERY single time.

I would strongly urge you to see an allergist. If you have noticed new allergies developing recently, you may want to get allergy tested to see if anything else has changed.

We have a Food Allergies Families board here on WebMD that you may find helpful. We are a small group, and mainly parents of food allergic children, but would really welcome a different perspective. If you have time, I hope you stop by and introduce yourself. It has been a great source of encouragement for me there. Sometimes it's just helpful to talk to someone who really understands what you are going through.

hallieringhand responded:
Hi Kim,
I understand what you are going through and I empathize with you. This is tough stuff! My daughter, 15, was just diagnosed with a potato intolerance in addition to having to eat fruit and sugar separately (within 6 hours of each other) only. I know a lot about food and truly feel like I know nothing after what we are required to learn now. Some of the things that work for us are being what I call, "protein ready." We always have the following on hand; deli meat, organic sprouted tortillas, organic boiled eggs, organic quinoa, cut up vegetables and fruit, brown rice pasta and full fat dairy products (preferably raw). Some Larabars work (read ingredients) and you can make bread and other grain products with 100% organic whole grain flour. I have a website and I will be posting potato free recipes starting this week under the recipe tab. Go to www.newutoday.com. I know you posted this awhile ago so I'm hoping things are going more smoothly for you. We have seen huge positive changes in just 6 weeks. Best of luck!

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center