Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chroniic Hives (Ulticaria)...HELP
helpamy posted:
It all started on April 8, 2012. I broke out with hives (other known as Ulticaria) on my arm. I then had hives on my armpit. I took Benadryl which worked at first, but then it didn't work anymore.

This has been an unbearable thing to deal with. To try and make my long story short, here is a summary of what medical treatments I experienced…I have seen 8 doctors (general practitioner, 2 dermatologists, and 5 allergists). I had blood work done numerous times, a biopsy, and skin test. I have been on many antihistamines/medications and some of them I am still taking: Atarax, Zyrtec, Allegra, Singular, Xyzal, Zantac, and Doxepine. I was on Prednisone on and off from April 8 until the end of October. I also tried Cyclosporin for a couple weeks…that was unsuccessful. My body also ached from that medication. At the end of November, I started taking Sulfasalzine. I started feeling better and saw results when I took 1500-2000 mg a day. Things were looking great. I was hive free from December 16, 2012- February 3, 2013. Since then, the hives started slowly coming back. This nightmare was starting all over again. On February 26 until now, the hives itch and hurt and I can't sleep at night.

My emotions with dealing with this have been up and down. I can't deal with looking at my skin. The hives are all over except for the bottom of my feet and in my private part. They are many different shapes and sizes…welts and scabs. There are days that my face looks different. At times, it is puffy and my eyes and lips are swollen. I am trying to think positive…things can be worse, let this be the worse thing that happens to me. One the other hand, I think, I hope it's not cancer, I hope that I am not dying. I gained a lot of weight (probably from the prednisone and stress). I continue to analyze this. Doctors say it is not an allergy. I have tried to stay away from alcohol, coffee, nuts, spicy foods…thinking that one of them might be the cause or exasperate it.
I truly feel that some of the interventions that I have tried worked at first, but then my body use to it and then they don't work anymore.

Almost 11 months later, this is still a nightmare. I am expected to try a new medication in the next few days. Does anyone have information about Dapsone 100mg or Xolair 300mg?

Aqua14 responded:
There was just an article about a clinical trial showing efficacy of Xolair for treating chronic urticaria. I believe 150 and 300 mg doses of Xolair were mentioned as being effective. I'll try to find the article and post the link -- I just read it in the last day or two.

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Aqua14 replied to Aqua14's response:
Here's the link to the article from Monday 2/25's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/25/health/hives-may-be-treated-with-asthma-drug-study-shows.html?_r=0

"The group treated with 150 milligrams experienced a 57 percent reduction in itching, while those treated with 300 milligrams had a 71 percent reduction. That was a significant improvement compared with the placebo group, which had a 37 percent reduction in itching. The group that received 75 milligrams had 41 percent less itching, which was not significant compared with the placebo group. The study participants who took the two higher doses also experienced less swelling, and the severity of their hives was reduced."

Hope this helps! Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Helpful Tips

regain you taste and smell
I lost my sense of taste and smell 4 years ago and have had multiple operations as well as daily flushed my nose with Pulmacort . My doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center