Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Major Throat Clearing
An_250696 posted:
I,too, have been dealing with these issues for about 5 months. My doctor has told me..I have post nasal drip...then I was told I had allergies and I was given a whole bunch of meds and nose sprays. When that didn't work, I was told I was lactose intolerance (Seriously?) Then I was told it could be acid reflux..had a barium swallow test and that was ruled out. Now they want me to have an endoscopy since the radiologist said there was an "unusual appearance" of the upper esophagus. I just don't know what to think anymore. It's like these Doctors are just playing a guessing games and the more test and drugs, the more money I have to pay out.I am so frustrated! The throat clearing is driving me crazy!

vikkitoria37 responded:
hi i have had pretty much the same as you for 2 years now had all the tests and nothing showed up on any of them i was also diagnosed with a post nasal drip and now i have acid reflux due to the pnd
My doc has given me 500mg of amoxolin for 7 days which seems to be working so far fingers crossed that it clears up but if not i will carry on with the natural licorice whenever it becums thick and after meals and drink fenell tea afew times a day which helps clear the mucus and keeps it at bay.
I get why your frustrated its not a very nice condition to have.
My advice would be keep trying different things search the net try the acid reflux diet eat small meals every few hours, dont eat anything 3 hours before bed drink plenty of water throughout the day it thins the mucus somethings bound to work i wish you well

vikkitoria37 responded:
Sorry forgot to mention if you have a post nasal drip try the neilmed sinus rinse it feels a bit strange at first but it does help reduce mucus, you can get it from boots.
All the best

An_250696 replied to vikkitoria37's response:
Thanks Vikk for your info My biggest concern of trying to get this under control, is me flying on a plane in 3 weeks and annoying the poor person next to me as I clear constantly. Do you think it will be worse up in the air? OMG, I sure hope not! It's so crazy! i have tried everything now for like 3 months. I even gave up coffee
cold turkey for a month..no change..went back to coffee..have taken acid reflux meds..have taken allegy meds..use nasal sprays... so sad that nothing works. I am 59 and I have no other health issues at all.And I still walk every day for 30 minutes! Thanks for letting me vent
JOJO

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center