Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chronic Hives
FLAlleycat posted:
Glad to have found this forum as hopefully will find something that actually works on this! I started out with what was biopsied as a medication allergy. Rash (with SEVERE itching) lasted 17 months! Wasted a tremendous amount of time seeing a couple dermatologists. Went to allergist who was not afraid to give me heavy duty doses of Prednisone. That would clear up the rash until I started to wing off the Prednisone, then it would come back. After one Prednisone treatment, he put me on Cyclosporin for a couple of months. Rash finally went away . . . for three months. It returned a couple of months ago. I'm now tapering off the Cyclosporin again but rash is already starting back. I cannot stand the itching. My bedsheets and clothing are bloody. I can't sleep. It's almost unbearable to wear clothing. Everyone laughs at me at work as I'm constantly scratching; however, I'm miserable! Antihistamines (Benadryl, vistaril, etc) do not touch it, although I have read studies (PubMed) that state the normal dose should be tripled with chronic urticaria. I did take 3 180-mg tabs of fexofendine (Allegra) this morning and am feeling a little less itchy so may start doing that every morning. Hopefully, it will build up in my blood and eventually give me relief. I've also used a hemorrhoid cream (contains lidocaine) that helps some, too. I've also tried an antidepressant but only for it's antihistamine effects (doxepin). Water is my beverage of choice and doubt I can consume more than what I already drink every day. I think allergist will be referring me to Mayo Clinic at my next appointment in a couple of weeks. It's great to read that others have found some relief, and I appreciate your sharing what worked for you as I'm sure going to try it, too!
Alley

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center