Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Severe "itch" sensation from heat
Harubi7 posted:
Thanks for clicking on this thread.

I'm a 16 year old male and for almost 5 years now I have been suffering from an itch-like sensation whenever I heat up. It burns, and feels almost like I'm being poked by a needle repeatedly.

The strange part is is that there are no visible symptoms. There is no rash, no hives, nothing. An episode begins for almost anything. When I'm hot, exercising (or trying to because I can no longer deal with this, so I'm basically living a sedentary lifestyle) sneezing, coughing, nervous, after being surprised, etc.

It usually starts on my chest as the little needle sensation and spreads throughout my body. I really need to know what this is and what I can do to handle it. It does stop when I cool down, but I can't stop what I'm doing everytime it happens.

A more accurate description of what it feels like is when you have a cut and put alchohol on it. It feels very similar to that but there aren't any visible symptoms. I have been to my pediatrician and he said I basically have to deal with it. I also went to an allergist who said to cool down but as fast as it goes, it comes again.

Another thing I noticed is that it is very difficult for me to sweat. This itching stops when I get to sweat most of the time, but I seem to not sweat at all even if I'm burning hot. In the summer is when I sweat more because of the constant heat.

Please help. I'm going to my pediatrician again soon but I hope someone has the answer here.

Thanks for your time.

Mampilly responded:
Sounds like you may suffer from heat induced urticaria. You should consult a physician who is board certified by the American Board of Allergy/Immunology.

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center