Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is there a test for snow mold allergy?
Anna08000 posted:
I have a sever allergy to something that is in the air year round but worst in February-March. My allergist tested me for, he said, everything he could think off. He did skin and blood tests for all the food and respiratory allergies they had tests for at the time. All they found was that I had elevated levels of something-or-other that showed I HAVE an allergy, but could not narrow it down. Just today I learned that snow mold is an actual specific mold - I thought it just meant all the molds that are released when the snow melts, and I tested negative for molds. But I wonder if possibly snow mold isn't covered by the tests. Or maybe it wasn't 10 years ago but is now? Anyway, is this something I can be tested for?

MamaD0367 responded:
I am not sure if there is a specific test for snow mold, but if it has been 10 years since your last test you might want to test again simply because our body changes over time and whatever you are allergic to may have become more severe or you may have developed new allergies. Also, my child was tested 3 years ago for allergies. She was very young (under the recommended age for testing) however, she was having severe allergic reactions on a daily basis to everything. Interestingly other than testing positive for mold on the blood test the only positive reaction she had was to the control, which she was not supposed to respond to. All they could tell us was that she definitely has allergies and we will have to figure it out by trial and error. We have discovered that she has food allergies, allergies to certain medications in the penicillin family, and indoor/outdoor allergens and animals. We are considering testing again to see if we can get more specific, but we carry an epi-pen just in case anyway. Sorry for the side track - anyway, she has had some serious issues this spring. We live in an area that has been see-sawing with the weather and the snow mold is crazy this year. My poor baby has been very sick and still is, we have been doing everything we can to keep in under control and keep her out of the hospital (she also has other chronic health issues). Our ped recommended we change her sheets every other day, so that what ever comes inside doesn't stay in her sheets. Since she shares a room, we are changing all the kids sheets every other day, I also have been changing the air filter every 30 days in our furnace, she is using allergy eye drops, otherwise they swell shut, and her inhaler and nebulizer regularily, also, our chiropractor recommended her taking a supplement called Perimine which aids in respiratory health and has dramatically reduced the severity of her cough and chest tightness since taking. I am at the point where I may end up having her wear a mask when outdoors until the weather becomes more consistant. I hope this information helps you. I know it can be so uncomfortable and difficult to deal with and sometimes it seems the only answer is to wait it out, but you don't have to! Also, I would try a netipot treatment 1-2 times a day. I can't get my child to do it, but if I could I would!

teadea1 replied to MamaD0367's response:
20 years ago I had the same allergies like you your daughter >i was in a hospital for over a months.Doctors told me it's impossible I was allergic on everything and I has to change sheets every night.Believe me worst than your daughter and after almost a year allergy was gone.After all of it I still have allergy on penicillin, asp, mold .After exactly 20 years I start to have an allergy I don't know what is going on what ever I do or eat I have an allergy I was on high level of using of medicines I'm trying something new it's called Kolonji oil (black seed -cumin oil) I did use for about a week in that week I had an allergy only 3 times I stop to use because I didn't have no more it's very hard to find Now I did found it in store from India.You can find on internet about it but make sure if you buy to by original import from India.You can ask a doctor about it Since I get back my allergy I was research on internet and ask people from eastern Europe they told me everything about it I have been use directly3x 3 teaspoon every day Now I'm starting to use 1/2 teaspoon of Kolonji oil 1 teaspoon of pure honey in 1 cup worm water before breakfast and after diner for 40 days and nights.If you want to do that find on internet I'm 40 yrs old kids I thing use 10 droops check on internet It's helping me.

Helpful Tips

Medications
Check your computer or smart phone before you pay for a Prescribed drug. Your MD does not know the "inactive" ingredients" the computer can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center