Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thick mucus
lisa71971 posted:
I have this thick mucus that seems to be produced if I swallow hard...it feels like it gets stuck in my throat and right behind my nose/throat. I cough to try to get rid of it, but it comes right back. I have to blow my nose in the morning, and a little during the day..is this allergies or what? I have tried everything to get rid of it, I have tried 4 different kinds of allergy medicine and tons of stuff like mucinex. Also tried 2 different kinds of nose sprays.

dmbeltme responded:
I am in the same boat ........ I am even getting allergy shots. I have been told it is asthma, then post nasal drip... blah blah blah... I have already had major sinus surgery 6 years ago, it helped for awhile. Now it seems that the post nasal drip has gotten worse... I am now trying claritan -d hoping that will help; however, it spikes my blood pressure, so I cannot take it too many days in a row,..... I irrigate my nose using the neti pot about 2 to 3 times a day... Have you tried that yet?
I am exhausted by it all.. So sorry... You are not alone..

sgbl88 responded:
Hi, There are several possibilities for both of you. You really need to see your doctor and discuss all you symptoms. Allergies are one possibility, but sinus infection and GERD also need to be considered. Many people are not aware that GERD can cause sinus symptoms - infections, bronchitis and other upper respiratory symptoms. One symptoms of GERD is a "globus" sensation in the back of the throat. The feeling that something is caught or stuck in the throat.

I hope that helps you.

Take care
God bless,
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

lisa71971 replied to sgbl88's response:
I do not have gerd symptoms. I never get heart burn. I have been on antibiotics. It feels like it creeps into my upper lungs and I try to cough but it rarely moves.

If a person takes something like zyrtec how long does it take to start working?

sgbl88 replied to lisa71971's response:
With the type of GERD that causes respiratory symptoms is frequently asymptomatic. Many people do not experience heart burn at all yet still have GERD. I got a severe case of layngitis from it, yet never or rarely experienced heartburn. It is harder to diagnose or that reason. So, you should be open to discussing with your doctor.

Antibiotics can increase a person's risk of having GERD. You need good bacteria to help properly digest food. Antibiotics kill both the bad backteria and good digestive bacteria. You may want to try taking a good probiotic to replace digestive bacteria.

How long and how often have you been taking Zyrtec?

Take care and God bless
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Okay, thank you. It does feel like sometimes, air is coming up from my chest..like air bubbles. I took Zyrtec for a couple of days and it didn't help, also the doctor gave me flonase and that didnt seem to help...so I stopped after a few days.How long does it take for the probiotics to work?

lisa71971 replied to lisa71971's response:
Also when I do cough..mucus does come up...but not a whole lot and it does seem thicker...but clear.

Hi again.

The flonase would take at least 2 weeks to start working. Zyrtec is a bit more complicated. You should have a degree of relief within a day depending on how severe your allergies are if allergies are a component of your symptoms. I would say to give it at least a week to see if it will really help your symptoms.

Probiotics will take a week or two to help with GERD, maybe longer. When I first started probiotics to help with GERD it took about two months. It is very effective once you get the good bacteria back in your system. I would suggest SolarRay Multidophilus-12. You will want a multi strain probiotic (that is what the 12 means). If you take antiboitics again, take a probiotic as close to half way betwen doses as you can.

Please keep us posted.

Sonya

Thank you so much!!

You are welcome.

God bless.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center