Skip to content
Light/Sun -PGE2 Deficient
TyleeteB posted:
I didn't know where to post this, so here goes.
To any of those that say (such as 1 of my vets) there's such a thing as being 'sensitive', but not allergic to light and the sun. You'd be wrong.
About a year ago after thousands of dollars in tests, my doctor told me that I and my daughter are PGE2 deficient. It's for Prostaglandin E2(Enzyme). Apparently neither of our bodies make any.
She barely knows anything about this, and most whom I tell about it simply think I'm making it up. It doesn't even seem common among doctors or the photosensitive groups.
I wasn't born this way, it started several years ago. I went from playing outside with merely sensitive eyes to only being able to tolerate outside for a few minutes at a time in direct light, to closing my house down to resemble a tomb inside. It seems to get worse on a nice downward spiral, and mine is so severe it gives me bronchial spasms and I can have trouble breathing, my skin inflates and itches like mad, etc.
I've tried searching online (which all itself is also painful due to the brightness. I have to wear gloves and a stupid motorcycle mask), to no avail. I don't write this for a pity party, but in search of help; as I've not been able to find anything on my own so far. I know it may be rare, but it is a medical problem. And I wanted to know (since my own doc doesn't know) if anyone's ever heard of any type of infusions, enzyme injections, supplements, Anything that might help. I mean, I have no thyroid, and I take daily medicine for what's no longer made. Is there anything anyone's ever heard of that helps for those whom are PGE2 deficient? I've found nothing so far on my own. But I can't help thinking there must be something. So if anyone has any thoughts or knowledge on this, could they please share them with me? As I have come to a dead end on my own.
Many thanks in advance for any help.

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center