Skip to content
Allergy shot experience?
Kevscagirl posted:
Hi! My allergist has recommended allergy shots for my dust mite, pollen allergies. Has anyone had any experience with allergy shots? Good, bad, pain in the rear? Any info is greatly appreciated!

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,

I highly recommend allergy shots. It took about 4 years, but at that o>point I realized that I no longer keep a box of tissues lieterally in every room of the house nor am I concerned with not having a spare box. It can take a while, but life will be much better.

I hope that helps you.

Take care an God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Aqua14 responded:
I'm in my 7th year of allergy shots and I've had a very positive experience with them. My dust mite reactions are almost gone and I can be outside with really very minimal reactions during pollen/mold seasons. I no longer react to dog dander at all. I've been able to cut down on my allergy meds, although I still take some every day.

The first year my arms would swell and itch after my shots, which was annoying, but after a few days that went away, particularly if I used ice to bring down the swelling. At this point my arms still get red patches where the shots are placed, but it's about the same as if I was getting a flu shot each month. I'm not very good at going exactly 4 weeks for shots, but I'm at the point that exact spacing doesn't matter.

I think I pay about $3-4 per month copay for the shots, which is a deal.

And my asthma has improved greatly as well -- I have been able to go to really minimal asthma meds and rarely have an attack.

All in all, allergy shots have really been worth the minimal pain, minimal expense, and minimal hassle for a huge benefit, improved health, and freedom from worrying about having attacks.

Having said all of that, allergy shots don't work for everyone. I have a friend who's severely allergic and who has done shots several times over the years, and they really didn't minimize her allergies. My allergies are milder than hers so maybe that's why they worked so well for me.

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

coughy16 responded:
I second what Sonya and Judy said, but they are a serious committment of time and possibly money. So I would say that it depends on how terrible your symptoms are. If they are mild and mainly controlled with meds, I wouldn't bother with the shots, but if they are severe and meds don't do much to help, I would definitely recommend them. I probably never would have taken them just for my allergies, but when I developed asthma that I couldn't get under control, I started the shots. You need to be prepared to go once/twice per week in the beginning and wait about 30 minutes each time after the shot before leaving, in case of a serious reaction. The swollen itchy arms were seriously annoying to me, but not everyone even has that problem. I have been on them several years also, and have seen a decrease in the amount of swelling/itching over time. In the end, they were a HUGE help to me in minimizing my symptoms and getting my asthma under control, and were more than worth the annoyances that they caused. Getting shots was the best decision that I made to improve my asthma.

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center