Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hives and swollen a lips and eyes
Beth777 posted:
I am 27 and I started breaking out in hives for the first time ever about 2 months ago. Never had anything but minor allergies and asthma. It started happening just at night when I got off work but were gone by morning. After a few days of being more persistent and getting worse (my whole body was covered!) and benadryl only worked during the day. no matter how much i took at night, id stilI wake up with hives and swollen face. i then started trying harder to figure out the cause. I thought it was my new tide laundry softener. So I rewashed all clothes and waited another week. No luck! Then I realized I had the wrong laundry detergent... I bought regular instead of the "he" for front loaders. So I rewashed again ( actually twice to really get soap out) and no luck. Doc referred me to dermatologist and prescribed hydroxizine to help with itching but hives and swelling continued. Finally I got prednisone which seemed to break the cycle. Lots of people told me this was stress related bc I do work full time, volunteer with church, and taking two masters degree courses.... But I've always been this busy/"stressed". Nothin really different. I also tried juicing (from joe cross on fat sick and nearly dead) to see if that would help cleanse me. It did help but it was hard to keep up. I continue to take Zyrtec and Pepcid ac... Yes the Pepcid is meant for heart burn but for some reason this makes a diff. Now I wake up with slightly swollen lips and eyes every few days. It happened after ate fish once and pizza the other day. And the tingling in lips happens in one spot and spreads like mentioned with others. I've also wondered if anyone is on the birth control implant called implanon. I have t had any issues but wondering if my body is just now rejecting it or something.

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center