Skip to content
coughing?
momagain2011 posted:
I have allergies always have. But this year they ar really bad! Can a presistant cough be allergie symptoms too? Any ideas to get rid of the cough or help me sleep at night????

Aqua14 responded:
A persistent cough *could* be caused by allergies (the post-nasal drip that runs down your throat), or it could be allergic asthma (or other conditions such as bronchitis). You might try taking Zytec instead of your usual antihistamine, and add a saline sinus rinse, to see if that helps. Also make sure you're staying indoors when the pollen is high.

It's best to see your allergist promptly and get checked out so you can get appropriate treatment, especially since this coughing isn't typical for you. An allergist will be able to determine whether you have asthma and prescribe appropriate medications, such as albuterol or even a codeine cough syrup for nighttime.

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center