Tapering Prednisone & withdrawal
lilyagave posted:
Hi, I'm 21, female.

Diagnosed with chronic idiopathic urticaria in mid april. In Early May, I was put on 20mg of Prednisone. By the end of may I was put on 40mg. So I would say about 2-2.5 weeks at each dosage.

By May 28th, I finally got in to see an allergist,who said I needed to taper. My taper was 15 days long. I was already on 40, so he said cut to 30 immediately for 5 days, the 20 for 5 days, then 10 for 5 days, and then stop. Went to another allergist for a second opinion, and he said it was fine.

So, I officially stopped all Prednisone last Friday, June 14th, but I think I'm having withdrawal symptoms.

I got a really red rash on my back the day I stopped. Since then, I've had pretty bad joint pain, and painful skin. I've been taking all my antihistamines (Pepcid, Zyrtec, Benadryl) plus Tylenol extra strength round the clock to keep things in check.

That combo above is mostly working, although I have some breakthrough pain.

So my question is:
1.) Is this Prednisone withdrawal?
2.) Is it safe to wait out the symptoms? I don't want to go back on Prednisone because it was causing eye pressure and rage/zombie states for me. Also because I'm hoping my hives are coming to an end, since I don't have face swelling anymore.
3.) How long might these withdrawal symptoms last?

Thank you....