Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anaphylaxis Reaction
sgbl88 posted:
On Monday I ate Healthy Choice 100% Natural Vegetarian Asian Potstickers. The dish was way too spicy hot for my taste so I stopped eating it after four small bites. Does anyone have any idea of what could be in this product that I am so allergic to? I have contacted the company for a complete ingredient list, but they have a lot of red tape to jump through to get it. My allergist and I are working on it, but I would really like to know what it could be. To my knowledge, this is the only food allergy I have and it is obviously pretty severe.

In recent months, I have had several milder systemic allergic reactions with no knowledge of what was casing them. I did eat Healthy Choice entrees frequently for lunch. The worst (a moderate reaction) of those was after eating one of their Italian offerings. My thinking now is that whatever is in the Asian Potstickers may occur as a trace, contaminate ingredient in their other options. I will not have another one of their products.

That does it or my question, now for the symptoms:
Not long after eating the four bites, I started having breathing problems. I am still recovering from walking pneumonia, so I did not think much of it at first. Everyone else in my department was out for the day, so I went to tell the receptionist that I would be in my office with the door closed doing a breathing treatment. I was extremely hoarse when I spoke to her.

The breathing treatment did not help much and other anaphylaxis symptoms started kicking in - throat swelling, dizziness, nauseous... I took a liquid gel benadryl and then several doses of liquid zyrtec and another breathing treatment. I did feel some better after that, but still not good and extremely hoarse.

I know I should have used my Epi-pen, but I did not want to do that because a friend from another department would have called for an ambulance if I did. Being alone in the department, I really could not leave as we facilitate the processing of very time sensitive documents. Of course, if I had eaten any more of that stuff I am sure they would have had no choice but to use the Epi-pen on me and call an ambulance.

Thanks.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Medications
Check your computer or smart phone before you pay for a Prescribed drug. Your MD does not know the "inactive" ingredients" the computer can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center