Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Animal Protein Allergy
jsarirose posted:
My boyfriend is increasingly allergic to animal proteins. First it was just red meat (natural or not, doesn't matter). He would get a severe stomach ache. Then chicken started causing the same symptoms. Now fish and eggs are causing the same thing. Milk still seems to be okay. Cheese and other non-animal proteins are fine.

Any ideas?

JaneMeyers responded:
I am interested in hearing more about this. I am already gluten-restricted and lactose intolerant. About a month ago I started noticing that chicken was going from my mouth, through my system and into the toilet within seconds after eating it. I didn't realize that it is possible to be allergic or intolerant to meat, and tree nuts aren't being very good to me either. I am at a loss as to what to do for proteins.

AKVmom responded:
I recently learned simply by browsing the web that there is a theory that animals that are fed a corn based diet may cause allergic reactions with people. It makes sense to me in that corn is one of my allergens in addition to chicken, turkey, pork beef and lamb. (in order from most allergic to least) It's quite possible that your BF is allergic to whatever feed they're using on the animals.

I found to reduce my body's reaction to the allergen (Asthma for me) that if I start off by eating a simple and "safe food" such as plain nonfat yogurt before eating a bit of chicken I'll react less to the food.

Over the years I found I can't eat eggs (breakfast style, mixed and baked are still fine) or anything made with eggs as the primary ingredient (mayo), it yields the "kicked in the stomach" feeling. Interestingly enough, there is one restaurant I know that makes scrambled eggs that not only can I tolerate, but love. The won't give out the recipie and wonder if they are using carton reduced fat eggs.

It's more of an experimental process to find what works for him, just encourage him to eat less of the meats and add more colors to the plate

Helpful Tips

It helps me sleep
I been getting really bad hives for abot 3 months now, I have no idea why I would be getting hives I been very healthy my whole life, but ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center