Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mind over matter: the psychological solution to chronic mucus?
oregonducksrock posted:
Long term chronic mucus congestion in the throat and nose and how to resolve it has been a popular topic. I have suffered from the problem for 1 1/2 years. Some of you are going on 6 or more years. Horrible, huh? My symptoms consist of there always seeming to be gunk collected in the area where my nose and throat meet. I would always snort, suck in through my nose and throat then swallow what felt like a constant stream of mucus. However I could never hack any of it up, I could snort and swallow all day and it would never clear. I went to two doctors, they didn't help. Finally I went to an ENT just a few days ago. And I can tell you the approach that I'm trying is already having an impact.
What did the ENT find that was wrong? Absolutely nothing. There was nothing abnormal whatsoever. We discussed the possibilities and arrived at one that I had never considered until now: could the problem be psychological? In other words, had I conviced there was mucus where there actually was none? That what I was feeling in that area of my throat could simply be the feeling of my body mechanisms in that area interacting or rubbing against each other and it felt like mucus? I believe my problem originated a year and a half ago when I got severely clogged up. To try to relieve the condition I would snort, suck in through my nose and throat, and swallow what felt like phlegm. In short I developed this bad habit and continued it. I am now trying to break the habit, and I can honestly tell you it is starting to help. I'm crossing my fingers that this may be the solution, I encourage any of you who suffer from the same symptoms that I do, consider this approach and see if it works.

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center