Skip to content
Symptoms of Environmental Allergies, but Tested Negative
An_253266 posted:
My two year old daughter, and now my one year old son, have suffered from the same seasonal allergy symptoms that my husband and I do since around six months of age. Runny nose, itchy, watery eyes, my daughter even does the 'allergy salute' because her nose itches so badly. There are weeks at a time in the spring when I have to stay at home with them because the daycare will not care for them when they are 'sick'. I know they are not sick, and I can't be taking that much time away from my job.

I have had my daughter tested twice now, once with a blood draw and once with a scratch test, and both tests were negative. Her symptoms, and the environment and activities surrounding her symptoms tell me that it is not a cold, but some sort of reaction to the environment. Every doctor I have seen swears that allergies do not develop this early, but I can't get her any relief. She is miserable. Is it true that allergies don't develop this early, or am I not seeing the right doctor? How can I help her get relief when allergy medications and antihistamines aren't working, so that she can be a normal child who plays outside with her friends?

Her brother is following closely behind, and I don't want him to have the same trouble she is having when his tests come back negative but he has the symptoms as well.

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center