Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ringing in my ears
DSpanglers posted:
I was told by a doctor that I have winter allergies that cause me to have head aches, pressure in my ears and even cause my teeth to hurt. I am dizzy sometimes also. Last year when Oct. came, I started with ringing in my ears and some of the above. I waited for the pollen to come when my allergies ended but this year it has not stopped. I finally went to the doctor this week and was told that I had hearing loss in both ears. I was told by a doctor the same thing when he did a hearing test but I told him that I could hear until the ringing started. I have a follow up appt. and saw another doctor and he prescribed fluid pills and over the counter allergy medication. That helped me more than anything else. This past week when I went to the doctor, he told me that I had hearing loss and it was nothing wrong with my middle ear, it was my inner ear and the hearing that I had loss was not going to return. I don't understand how this could be since in the past it went away and after the ringing stopped, I could hear great. He told me that I could be tested for allergies but it was a long process and I would have to live with the ringing. I am 57 years old and I don't want to have to wear a hearing aid at this time in my life. I have constant pressure in my ears and in my neck area under my ears. Do I go to another doctor? Can you tell by doing a hearing test like the first doctor did that my hearing will not return? It returned before! Please give me some advice if you will.

sgbl88 responded:
HI, and welcome to the community.

Allergy testing is not a long process, but I would recommend that you see a board certified allergist and not an ENT that gives allergy shots. I don't understand why he said it was a long process. Allergy testing takes 5 -7 days of NO antihistamines and up to 2 hours for the test with immediate results. With your seasonal increase of symptoms, I would recommend allergy testing.

I have a very similar situation. The only difference might be that for me the constant ringing was precipitated by air travel. During the early fall a few years ago I was having ear pain and occasional ringing. I woke up the morning we were flying out of town to altitude with worse pain than normal and went to the doctor. When we flew back home, I had severe pain during decent and landing. Thankfully I had an appointment with my allergist within a few days who referred me to a local ear institute. I had seen an ENT in the past, but he did not accept my insurance, so I saw one of the partners who did. No hearing loss was indicated in the test he ordered. I was not very impressed with this second ENT so I went to the ear institute. The test there did indicate hearing loss. However, there was a lot of talking in the back ground of the second test which was VERY distracting. I don't know if the talking was part of the testing, but it sounded like the tester was talking to someone. Subsequent testing by the first ENT did not indicate any hearing loss either. I believe the ear institute was out to sell more hearing aids and skews their testing.

I suggest that you consider symptoms of hearing loss before considering getting a hearing aid. Do your friends say your TV, car radio, or other devices are too loud for them? Do you need to turn the volume up a lot? Do you feel like you are missing out on conversations? If not, I really wouldn't worry about hearing loss at this time.

Considering that you are having constant pressure in your neck as well, you may need a CT scan to diagnose the cause of that.

Doctors frequently diagnose by what is "normal" for age and symptoms not necessarily your proper diagnosis. You may need to find a doctor who will treat you, not try to put you in a box.

My ringing started in 2008. It is still verily constant. There are times that I am not aware of the ringing, but it is never completely gone. It does get less annoying over time. My ENT did decide that flying with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD) may have caused some sort of physical damage which is causing my tinnitus.

I hope that helps you. You may also want to research Meniere's Disease. It has similar symptoms.

Take care and God bless.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

DSpanglers replied to sgbl88's response:
Thank you so much for responding. I am getting a second opinion the 2nd week of Oct. I hope she can help me.

sgbl88 replied to DSpanglers's response:
Good idea. Please let me know what they say. I am trying to decide if I should see my ENT for another tube. It helped a lot about 2 years ago, not necessarily with the ringing, but with ear pain.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center