Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
False allergy test
rockthemop posted:
About two weeks ago I had blood work done to test for food allergies and a gluten intolerance. I have food allergies and the doctor wanted to test on those plus others. Everything came back negative. My issues is I know 100% that I am allergic to foods such as Hazelnut because it is sent me to the ER twice is anaphylactic shock, both times it was 100% diagnosed by the doctor that, that is what was going on. Now I am unsure what to do or where to turn, I know from experience I have several severe food allergies but allergy testing is going nowhere.

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,
I personally do not trust blood allergy tests. I have had false negatives in the past. Several people here have had similar experiences.

The standard for food allergies is a food challenge. This needs to be done in your allergists office with close monitoring. The allergist may ask you to bring the suspected food and will give you small amounts watching closely for reactions.

I am trying to narrow down a spice allergy to test after a series of anaphylatic reactions to Healthy Choice entrees this spring and summer. Most were mild. Pollen counts were high at the time, so I did not associate them with food. However, one to an Asian entree was severe after just a few bites.

I am having difficulty getting precise ingredient lists from the manufacturers. I suspect it is red pepper flakes, but there are literally thousands of blends. Some Asian blends contain seaweed. Once I can get the needed information from the manufacturer, I will do the food challenge to confirm the allergy. I will let you know how the procedure goes if I ever get the complete list.

I hope that helps some,
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Herbal health care product
Herbs Solutions By Nature is just the right destination for all those who have been looking for a herbal cure to their relevant disease. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center