Skip to content
Watermelon Allergy: Real & Possibly Psychosomatic..?
An_253696 posted:
I have always had a watermelon allergy and it has gotten the point where I don't "test" to see how severe the allergy is...because it is pretty severe. My throat closes and I can't breathe.

The issue is that when I smell an uncut watermelon then I begin to ...become bothered by the smell. The stronger the smell the stronger the reaction; the strongest reaction I've received is my throat closing and limiting my breathing. My family loves eating watermelon and the minute I see the cutting board, knife, and watermelon then I have to leave that area for the next couple of hours. Typically that means me leaving the house completely for about 4-6 hours. I can open the door to the house and smell the watermelon and I instantly get bothered and have a rising in anxiety and usually I find the source and get rid of it.. (the rinds in the trash). After that I have to mask the smell with a spray so I can tolerate being in the area.

The sight of a watermelon doesn't create any reaction; artificial watermelon smells/tastes don't bother me..only real watermelon smell itself will trigger a reaction.

I know I have a real allergy to the fruit itself but the allergic reactions to the smell of the fruit...is it really psychosomatic or is it also real? Because it sure feels real to me and I would just like to get an understanding as to what's going on.

deluxehd responded:
I would say it is real. I can also smell a food and it triggers an asthma attack. But if you have other allergies it could be cross reaction. http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/oral-allergy-syndrome-foods Here is a link about oral allergy syndrome and related pollen cross allergies. I hope this is helpful.

An_253696 replied to deluxehd's response:
I don't react with any of the other foods with ragweed pollination ..in fact I love eating those foods!! The only melon I don't get a reaction with is honeydew. Cantaloupe is not as strong as watermelon but still present. Watermelon is definitely the worst. Maybe there's something in the juice or fruit itself?

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center