Skip to content
Caffeine Allergy?
romeo1 posted:

I had a cough for many months that would not go away. Over time it got much worse. I had bouts of bronchitis and spent three days in the hospital with pnumonia. There was wheezing and coughing up crap. I was taking Albuterol with an inhaler, which didn't seem to help a whole lot. Asthma was a possibility. The results of the lung function test were interesting: I could not breathe in or out forcefully without coughing.

Meanwhile, I had been having breakfast every day at my favorite restaurant. For a long time I would order regular coffee black and the waitress always kept my cup full. After a while, I decided to change to decaf. A few weeks after I stopped having coffee altogether and switched to drinking water, all these above symptoms disappeared all by themselves. No change in medication or other treatment. A CAT scan was done of my upper torso. The lungs and bronchial tubes were completely normal.

My conclusion, which I came to on my own, is that I am allergic to excessive amounts of caffeine. I am wondering now if I should be retested for diabetes. Maybe that is gone, too.

An_253875 responded:
I have similar symptoms and they're due to a formaldehyde allergy.

I've been hospitalized for pneumonia. I've had bouts of bronchitis and doctors often suspect asthma. The doctor that gave me lung function tests said I didn't have asthma and shouldn't use inhalers; he thought I had respiratory problems due to chemical sensitivity.

I've known for decades that formaldehyde is in decaf coffee and recently discovered that it's in regular coffee too. They both make me more sleepy than I was before drinking it. Organic coffee is less of a problem for me, but it's hard to find in restaurants. I keep my blood sugar low by omitting the cream and sweetening it with vanilla stevia; vanilla stevia makes the coffee taste like it has a little cream in it.

Formaldehyde is also in inhalers and a lot of liquid medications such as some brands of hand sanitizer. If a doctor has the type of hand sanitizer that contains formaldehyde in the exam room with me, I get a runny nose and cough that goes away when I leave.

Helpful Tips

Herbal health care product
Herbs Solutions By Nature is just the right destination for all those who have been looking for a herbal cure to their relevant disease. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center