Skip to content
Airbourne Seafood/Shellfish/Fish allergies
rschramm posted:
Hello,

I have had an allergy to Fish and Shellfish for as long has I can remember, but 6 years ago I began to have issues breathing when in a room where Seafood and Shellfish were cooked. I avoid restaurants that serve any type of Fish or Seafood.

My current issue is at work I work in an office building and people are microwaving fish and shellfish I get a taste and smell of metal and my sinuses will begin burning then I loose my voice and become confused. If not immediately removed from the building I begin to blackout.

My place of employment is finally recognizing my allergy but the options they are providing me to protect me against exposure make little to no sense.

The first was to change my hours there is still a risk of exposure if I come into it have being cooked or if someone else with the same hours cooks seafood or brings it in. The second was to clean all the duct work and replace filters this is great if no one cooks seafood in the microwaves, They suggested an air purifier I am not sure how effective that would be has I am in an open cubical in a four story office building and lastly and my favorite was increasing the thickness and height of my cubicle walls, not sure how that would help other then more privacy.

They stated they cannot tell 800 people they cannot bring seafood to work, however they can tell people how much cologne/perfume to wear has someone complained it gives them headaches, Send the smokers out to a parking lot has their smoking bothered people who do not smoke. I have had numerous doctor bills and hospital bills due to my exposer to seafood at work I avoid it when I am not at work.

My company asked me to see if I could come up with some possible solutions to my allergic reactions at work, So I thought I might ask for some suggestions here has now my blood pressure seems to be going up with each exposer, The symptoms appear to be worse and there are some weeks that I am exposed and have allergic reactions two and three times in one week. I have gone to two doctors and have supplied to my place of employment the paperwork they wanted filled out by my doctor stating I am allergic turned in every doctors not and diagnosis and am not at a loss for what I can do, I have been here 16 years and do not want to have to look for another place to work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

biancalthompson responded:
Hi
I have an Iodine and shellfish allergy as well.
I work in the healthcare industry so Iodine is an almost unavoidable part of my work. I have severe skin reactions if I eat shellfish I vomit.

Have you tried a wearing a mask?
Have you tried using a nasal antihistamine like Flonase and oral antihistamine like Claritin?

aepaul responded:
Any chance you can directly appeal to your colleagues without upsetting the higher-ups? I've found that people are quite understanding when they are personally approached with a problem such as yours. Sure, you may still get the one or two who don't believe or insist they HAVE to have seafood, but you've been there so long you must have built up a lot of friendships and hopefully respect that most might leave the seafood at home.

And you could still, as Bianca suggested, bring a mask for those times when people still bring seafood in. I think a mask will keep out the airborne proteins, though I'm not sure.

Good luck.

jessicacherelle replied to aepaul's response:
I am having the same problem at work. I have been at this job for two year. It is small office and we only have one hr person. She told me she only will post up on email and put on side on the microwave. She told me that all is required to by law. They eat fish in my office knowing I could die. I am now on steroids from y last attack. My office is small enough to ask people to stop eating fish but the management is not welling to take it seriously. I have decided to consult a attorney until I can find another job. I thought I was the only one in the work that is going through this at work. Anyone have any advice please respond...

Helpful Tips

Medications
Check your computer or smart phone before you pay for a Prescribed drug. Your MD does not know the "inactive" ingredients" the computer can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center