Skip to content
newly diagnosed and scared
elise_rose posted:
I am 26, female, and generally healthy. I have never had any allergies in my life. Recently, I had a sudden anaphalactic episode that landed me in the ER under life-threatening conditions. I have been tested for general food alergens with no success in discovering the cause. It may have been a prescription strength ibiprofin but im not even sure i took one that morning. I have been diagnosed with panic disorders in the past and had my anxiety under control for the first time in my life- and then this. I have literally been terrified ever since. I feel like my face never stops itching especially my eye and my hives never went away after the attack a month ago. I am having alot of trouble being able to differentiate an unknown allergen and its symptoms with the fear and panic driven symptoms (nausea, anxiety, etc). Also, I felt like my allergy doctor seemed like my panic was ridiculous and treated my questions with a patronizing boredom (unfortunately as a broke college student he is my only option). Is my fear justified? Is there more I can do to quell the panic? How do I KNOW if I am going into anaphalaxis again-- do i wait until its so obvious there is no other choice, i read online that early action at the first symptom is key. Clearly I need help here, I will; be going back to my schools clinic when it reopens after winter break... but until then...This is a terrible situation for anyone and I wonder how others manage not to live in constant fear.

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center