Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ALIUM ALLERGIES?
bossypants posted:
My entire family can't eat anything in the alium family (onions, garlic, leeks, chives, scallions), whether cooked, raw, pickled, whatever.

Some of us get severe headaches lasting days; I get anaphylaxis which lasts for about 4 days.

None of us are prone to migraines. So far, the only solution is avoidance, which makes eating out very difficult.

Does anyone have a similar problem? One of the worst parts is that no one believes us and thinks we're just being whiny when we ask for alium-free.

THX

deluxehd responded:
I have a long list of foods that I can't eat because they trigger my asthma. They are not true food allergies and like you, people don't believe me. The doctor believes mine is the result of being exposed to mold from a water damaged building and my immune system went haywire. I also react to other items: fabrics, plastics, latex, woods, metals, etc.

Anyway maybe having a the ELISA ACT blood test done may give you some concrete evidence. ELISA checks for delayed reactions and sensitivities, not just true allergies.

Good luck.

bossypants replied to deluxehd's response:
THX, D. I'll ask my EMT/allergist about that.

I have come to the inescapable conclusion that having a body is often more trouble than it's worth.

On the " " side, if I go to a restaurant and they can't make something I can eat, I know to get OUT because they microwave everything.

Best.
B

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center