Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MEAT ALLERGY
lonelymom13 posted:
My youngest daughter has been diagnosed with a potentially fatal allergy to mammal meats. We have gone vegan to avoid all meats, and their byproducts. Although, while out and about, or while she is at school, sometimes, she'll get a hold of 'something' that still causes a reaction. This is life disrupting, disturbing to the school staff, and even frightening! She has an EpiPen available everywhere she goes.
My question is this: Is there a list of foods and products, that is obtainable for the school and myself, to be aware of these meats in foods you wouldn't suspect?

Take the Poll

How many out there also suffer from an allergy to meat products?
  • How many have an allergy to meat products?
  • How do you deal with an allergy to meat?
vote
View Poll Results

An_255384 responded:
eat vegan!

mrswhitecastle responded:
I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. You may want to check out the "Food Allergy Families" board. We are a small group, but there are about 3 of us with younger children with food allergies.

Have you checked FARE's website? I'm not sure if they only have the lists for the common allergens, but it may be a good place to start.

atti_editor responded:
Hi lonelymom13,

I am sorry that you and your daughter are having to go through this. I was able to find this post about 8 Common Foods You Thought Were Vegetarian . It is not a WebMD source so I cannot vouch for it's accuracy, but as a vegan myself, I can tell you that I have heard from multiple sources that the items on this list contain animal proteins. I think that it will take a lot of careful label inspection, and possibly homemade lunches and snacks only, to ensure that your daughter is not exposed to any potentially fatal allergens. Here is a list of ingredients to watch for if you are going strict vegan. Many processed pastries, chips, etc are cooked in animal fat, so that is also something you will want to look out for if that would trigger her allergy.

Hope this helps!
Atti

lonelymom13 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Thank you. I do appreciate your suggestions!

lonelymom13 replied to atti_editor's response:
Thank you so much!!! My daughter is going to a private school, not only for a good Christian education, but also to help avoid some of these problems of non-cooperation from the public school systems. I have been asked for a presentation to all staff members to be able to educate them in the different ingredients to look for, so these will be very much utilized in that presentation to them! Thank you again!!
God bless, and stay healthy! Also, have you checked out the GMO's? Non-GMO, ORGANICALLY GROWN foods are the best! GMO is a study of it's own!!! The public would be aghast to know what they're actually buying even in the produce aisles!!

mrswhitecastle replied to lonelymom13's response:
That's great that the school asked you to do a presentation like that!

It can be extremely difficult to work with a public school. Congrats on finding a school that is willing to work with you to protect your daughter.

lonelymom13 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Yeah! I transferred her to a private Christian school or I still wouldn't be getting any cooperation!!! It's well worth the cost!!

Helpful Tips

regain you taste and smell
I lost my sense of taste and smell 4 years ago and have had multiple operations as well as daily flushed my nose with Pulmacort . My doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center