Skip to content
Avocado allergy with secondary trigger?
An_255393 posted:
Trying to be brief: I've eaten avocados all my life and have never been allergic to latex. 4-5 years ago, I noticed I would get itchy palms and traced it to a certain restaurant's guacamole. Since then I've noticed on maybe 6-8 occasions that I was getting allergy symptoms after eating avocado, but nowhere near every time I did.

For the Superbowl, my wife and I made nachos and ate them - my plate included half an avocado. I had no reaction to it on Sunday. Last night (Tuesday) we decided not to let the rest of the fixings go to waste, so we ate *exactly the same thing* and I had the worst reaction I ever have - small hives all over, excruciatingly itchy palms and eyes, even my breathing started to feel restricted after a while. It took two Benadryl about an hour to start to ease the reaction.

I'm going to see my GP soon about other stuff, so I'll ask him too, but in the meantime, I thought I'd see if the community here has any ideas: could there be a secondary thing I'm eating on the days when I'm having reactions that's causing it - or could it just be as simple as having avocado twice in too short a time span?

Thanks for any ideas!

mrswhitecastle responded:
An allergic reaction can be different every time. You don't always have the same symptoms. You can also develop an allergy at any age.

My advice would be to avoid avocado completely until you have spoken with your doctor.

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center