Skip to content
Rubber Allergy (allergic to carba mix) - Why no rash on palms of hands?
kb13kb13 posted:
My father was recently diagnosed as having a type of rubber allergy, more specifically a contact allergy to carba mix. Carba Mix is a chemical that is used in the processing of rubber. He has been instructed to avoid contact with any products containing rubber. My father is carpenter and construction worker by profession, which makes it VERY difficult for him to avoid those types of products altogether.

My question is this... If he truly has a contact allergy to carba mix, why are the palms of his hands not affected? His symptoms consist of redness, rash, and itchiness mainly of this thighs, upper arms, waist area and calves. He has endless tools that have rubber grips/handles and such, however, he only experiences the itchy aftermath of handling such objects on various parts of his body, never the palms of his hands. Can someone please explain this to me?

4gceddy responded:
After 4 months of misdiagnosis, I think I got my final answer of being allergic to carba mix and 3 other things. I am diagnosed with dyshidrotic eczema. I also have the same exact question as you. I have rash all over my body and fluid filled bumps on the top of my hands and fingers but not on the palms. I work in the medical field and use gloves all day long too.

Please can someone answer this question?!

deluxehd replied to 4gceddy's response:
My best guess is that possibly you have a latex allergy. Are the rashes where items like, socks, waistband and leg bands on underwear touch you? The elastic contains latex unless specially made with latex free elastic. A lot of clothing contains forms of latex: spandex, elastane, etc. I can't answer why the palms are not affected.

Helpful Tips

Medications
Check your computer or smart phone before you pay for a Prescribed drug. Your MD does not know the "inactive" ingredients" the computer can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center