Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Am I allergic to my period?
An_255474 posted:
Hi. I'm a 19 year old female, will be turning 20 soon. I'm relatively healthy and I have my menstrual cycle every month like an average woman. However I have a small concern. Whenever my period begins it feels as though I have a rash down in that area. Sometimes there is a burning itch and it can be quite uncomfortable at times. There are times when it is unbearable. I am not sexually active at all so I know it's no STD. And it is not a yeast infection. I am unable to use tampons so I wear pads and I thought that maybe I could be irritated by the pads I wear so I've changed the type and brand several times but the irritation is still there. This irritation is ONLY present when I am on my cycle. And it lasts how ever long my cycle lasts. Sometimes I rub petroleum jelly in the area and it alleviates the discomfort a little but I am still concerned as to why it becomes irritated when my cycle begins. Can someone please help?

1whippet responded:
When I had my menstrual cycles, sometimes I felt an irritation down there similar to my nose feeling irritated. Told doctors for years about this, they were men & thought I was making it up. The irritation got worse during pollen allergy season & had my period. What brought relief - Vasigil cream, soaking my body in tub water with baking soda. The first female gyn doctor I saw told me that the change in hormone levels during my period, especially during allergy season, would give me a runny nose, irritation. Taking benedryl, later I now take Allegra, helps.

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center