Skip to content
having a hard time with allergies - multiple sources
amatu30 posted:
I have struggled for a long time with allergies, having allergies to foods as well as substances in the air and insects. I take a Claritin daily, and carry an epi-pen for emergencies, but still am not feeling all that great. I am allergic to, in no particular order: wasps/hornets/bees, tobacco smoke, perfume, scented ANYTHING, flowers, pollen, cedar, air freshener, dust, air pollution, shrubs (give me a rash), pet hair, comphrey, Power Bars (lips swell), and corned beef (rash).
I don't know what to do anymore. I am still sneezing, feeling nasty, and the Claritin is doing less for my overall condition, though I haven't lately had to be dragged away from areas where people were smoking, which was my fate when I went to a bar once where people smoked inside. Are there any good medications out there, or ways to reduce overall sensitivity?

deluxehd responded:
amatu30,
Sorry to hear you are struggling with your allergies. Is your home a safe environment for you? And are you better when you are at home? I know it is tough but you need to reduce you exposures. Some of us will say our allergy bucket is full when we react to everything. Once we reduce exposures your bucket starts to empty and you can tolerate things better. Some people do well with Singulair. Do you have an allergist? Maybe you should schedule an appointment to be evaluated and tested or re-tested. If you are interested in trying alternative therapies, I had some benefit from NAET and kinesiology. I hope this helps some and take care.

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center