Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
2 yo child allergic to ice cream??
kkeetley posted:
My daughter was admitted to hospital 4 months ago after taking a seizure. We never got to find out why she had it as doctors never took blood tests but the night before she had an icecream. Then again last night she had icecream after her tea and was up all night being sick. Could she be allergic to ice cream and not cows milk. She has 2 cups of cows milk a day and is fine with that but just curious to know why she seems to not be agreeing with ice cream.

atti_editor responded:
Hi kkeetley,

It could be that your daughter is allergic or intolerant to one of the other many ingredients found in ice cream. Has she been tested for a milk allergy or lactose intolerance? It would be a good idea to bring your concerns up with your pediatrician at your daughter's next visit, and avoiding ice cream in the meantime may also be in order. Please let us know what you find!

Best wishes,
Atti

coughy16 responded:
It is common with lactose intolerance to be able to tolerate lactose in some form but not others. I can eat a little ice cream, but if I tried to drink milk or a milkshake, it makes me sick. I can also eat cheese as long as it's in small quantities

atti_editor replied to coughy16's response:
Hi coughy16,

Everyone's lactose intolerance presents differently -- you may be sensitive to smaller amounts, or you may be able to eat larger amounts before your symptoms set in. And, some foods may present with worse symptoms than others. Here is some information on lactose intolerance and its diagnosis. Have you seen a doctor to confirm that what you are experiencing is lactose intolerance?

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center