Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dander Allergies
cliffj03 posted:
Hello Everyone, my name is Cliff and I have a few questions about Dander and my daughter. We recently found out that my 2 year old daughter has dander allergies and we do have a bull mastiff puppy. We have had the puppy for about 3 days now and my daughter has been reacting by just itching in certain areas. There is no swelling of the eyes, or internal problems. She has had a runny nose a few times. We have a purifier in the living room and one in her bedroom. The dog is not allowed in her room. Also we Vaccuum twice a day and swifer once a day. When it comes to her, we give her 10 mil of zyrtec a day ( 5 in the morning and 5 at night). Also give her bendadryl at night before bed.
I really feel like a bad parent by keeping him, but I really feel like she can get over this, plus she loves dogs and I dont want to keep her away from them. I think that if we keep doing all of the pre cautionary items, nothing will get worse.
What I would like is all the information I can get to help me with this situation or maybe past experinces with a young one. The last thing I want is for her to suffer, but also I dont want her away from dogs. All the help is much appreciated.

mrswhitecastle responded:
"I really feel like a bad parent by keeping him, but I really feel like she can get over this"

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean -- get over what? Do you mean that she will eventually get used to the dog? Or she will eventually outgrow the allergies?

I'm assuming you have met with an allergist, since your daughter has been diagnosed with dander allergies. What does your allergist say about having the dog?

Since you have only had the dog 3 days, I would get rid of the dog. I would not want to have to continue giving my daughter meds 3 times a day because there is a dog in the house. Since your daughter is only 2, there is hope that she will one day outgrow the allergy. At that point, I would consider getting a dog. If she doesn't outgrow the allergy, I think you are better off getting rid of the dog now, since you have only had it 3 days.

I'm sorry, as I know my opinion is probably not the one you wanted to hear.

cliffj03 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
yes I was talking about getting used to the dog and hopefully out growing her allergies. I mean she doesnt seem to be having any issues except some scratching at night. But there is a high possibilty of getting rid of him. Thank you for your opinion, that is the whole reason I put this up here. Because I have heard that people find ways to cope with their pets.

atti_editor responded:
Hi cliffj03,

Our Pet Dander Allergies Directory has a lot of good articles and information that you may find helpful. Mrswhitecastle makes a good point -- you should discuss with your allergist how keeping your puppy, even with all of the precautions you are taking, may affect your daughter and then set out to make a plan from there.

This article explains some changes you can make to try to both manage your daughter's allergies and keep your puppy. It sounds like you have a good handle on dander prevention in your home, but the above link may have some tips you have yet to consider. This pet allergy checklist may also come in handy (and will help you think of measures you should take when bringing your daughter to meet friends who also have animals). Finally, take a look at this video that discusses the truth about allergies and pets.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center