Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Propelyne Glycol
neumann21 posted:
I've read many of the posts on here regarding allergic reactions to propelyne glycol and most of them say a rash or hives accompany the initial reaction.

I am unsure if I am allergic to propelyne glycol but I've been breaking out in 'pimples' that are pus filled on the sides and back of my head. Sometimes they go away for a few days then come back with a vegenance. Sometimes I can have 12-14 of these at a time. Needless to say it makes getting a haircut embarassing and they are quite painful. I wash my hair regularly and use gel. My hair is very short so I tried cutting back on the amount of product I used and that did not work. I teid cutting out gel for 10 days, that didn't work either. The only connective thread I've found is that both my shampoo and conditioner as well as my gel all contained propelyne glycol, however, I haven't really found anyone else complaining of the same symptoms as I have.

At one point this condition went away for about two years but I cannot recall what I did or used differently during that span. Does nayone else have this problem related to propelyne glycol?

atti_editor responded:
Hi neumann21,

Here is some information on common causes of scalp problems that you may find helpful. Your reaction could be a form of contact dermatitis from a propelyne glycol allergy, but it could also be a result of folliculitis -- an infection of hair folicles. Folliculitis looks like pimples that may have pus in them. Have you seen a doctor or dermatologist about this? He/she is best qualified to diagnose what is happening based on an examination and explanation of your symptoms. Please let us know what you are able to find!

Best wishes,
Atti

fystemex responded:
I have an allergy to propylene glycol (PPG) and I also had these pimple like lesions on my scalp and body. When I was diagnosed through patch testing, I eliminated all beauty products with propylene glycol and am feeling better. See a dermatologist to get patch testing. I happen to be allergic to fragrance/parfum too. This combination has made it very difficult to find face and body cosmetics/soaps but I have been able to at Whole Foods. Just read labels carefully. I am so sorry you are going through this. It is not easy. Know that PPG is in food as well. When I eat something with PPG, I end up with extreme and quite painful IBS symptoms. Good luck to you.

Helpful Tips

Medications
Check your computer or smart phone before you pay for a Prescribed drug. Your MD does not know the "inactive" ingredients" the computer can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center