Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Possible cat allergy?
malsue88 posted:
We recently got a long-haired kitten, and though he was in our house for a few weeks before I noticed any symptoms, I'm wondering if I am allergic to him.

It started with typical seasonal allergy symptoms - itchy throat, dry mouth, itchy eyes, sneezing, etc. - but the past few days I have been randomly getting lots of small itchy bumps on the backs of my hands and the inside of my forearm. When the bumps occur, my throat gets very itchy, my chest feels strange, and I cough a lot - what my (asthmatic) uncle described as an "asthma cough" when he heard it.

Here's a picture of my arm, as the bumps are much smaller than any other hives I've ever had. Also, one time, after the bumps were gone, tiny purple dots appeared in their place. Like, pinpricks of broken blood vessels, almost.

Could this be a cat allergy? Or does it sound like something else?

Thank you!

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center