Seasonal itch on back, neck and shoulders with no rash
redhead88 posted:
Every summer for the past 9 years I get a horrible itch on my upper back, up my neck, and my shoulders. There is never any visible sign of anything on my skin. The itching can be so intense and painful that it keeps me awake at night and the only thing to soothe it is sleeping on an ice pack. I have tried hydrocortisone, lotion, steroids, allergy medicine, essential oils, probiotics... the list goes on and on. Nothing seems to help. Every summer it starts coming back around July, getting worse as the summer goes on, and eventually going away in September or October. I have done a lot of research, and am wondering now if it might be notalgia paresthetica? Does anyone have any info on this? I am desperate! I am so sick of this every summer!!!

undefined responded:
Hello there...First, I all, sorry---I feel your pain. Literally. I was just paging through google attempting to gain some knowledge on my debilitating shoulder issues when I ran across your post. This sounds very familiar to my situation, however, I have not noticed the timing being exactly the same. Mine started over 5 years ago but then I had a very serious accident 3 years ago which left me dealing with more severe injuries/recovery , etc...so perhaps my body was too busy focused on that. Now I am dealing with this again....and it is seriously so intense I am not coping. Was curious to know if you have been able to learn anything about your condition? I have tried everything you mentioned above--and more. I am heading to an allergist/immunologist next week in hopes that perhaps he can shed some light. I sleep each night with an ice pack and sometimes I need during the day to just deal. My jumps from both sides, feels like I am getting stung by bees and then the intense itching starts. The moment I touch it or try to itch, it becomes even worse. Sound familiar? Would love to help each other....let me know if you have learned anything further. Thank you!