Skip to content
Horrible Post-Nasal Drip Cough due to Drug Use
joefer531 posted:
Hi guys

I hope this post isn't too graphic or offensive to anyone. It is just the truth and I felt as though I should explain my situation exactly in case the small details play a part in what the correct answer should be...

I am in recovery and 81 days clean from heroin. I feel amazing and I am enjoying my new sober life so much! There's one thing that's really driving me crazy though..

I have a really bad nasal drip in my left nostril which I snorted with, and it is keeping me with a horrible cough that I've had for almost 3 months now. I actually got the cough when I was in rehab, and thought it was just a cold, but after several weeks it kept lingering and I have realized that it must be due to the heavy drip.

I have been to 2 different doctors, been on 2 types of antibiotics, which seemed to help slightly for a few days and then it came back full force. I have also been prescribed Benzonatate, Dymista spray, Phenylephrine, and I have taken Allegra, Zyrtec-D, and am currently taking Claritan-D.

I have tried Sudafed, and Afrin nasal spray, but nothing has helped. I also used Simply Saline spray a couple days, but didn't do it regularly I feel like the drip is my nose just trying to compensate for all that powder being shoved up there for 14 months and now that it's gone it's mass producing thick mucus which is just running down my throat.

I blow my nose constantly and cough flem up when I can, but a lot of the time the cough is dry and tight.

I am really at a loss and I just want this drip to go away so I can get rid of this cough. I feel like even if the drip came back a week later, I could deal with it, it's just the cough that's making it so miserable. It's very hard to breathe sometimes, I have these coughing fits.

Any tips would really be appreciated. I am hoping there is some magic answer out there that will annihilate this hardcore drip and allow my cough to heal. Thanks in advance!

Helpful Tips

Medications
Check your computer or smart phone before you pay for a Prescribed drug. Your MD does not know the "inactive" ingredients" the computer can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center