Skip to content
Why does my son cough after playing in the river?
raybeam posted:
My parents live in Rhode Island on the Palmer River. The water is brackish and subject to the tides. My son plays by the banks of the river, digging holes in the sand and looking for creatures like hermit crabs and horseshoe crabs. He does not swim in the water but he gets wet in the sand and he goes wading.

Almost every time he plays there, later in the day he exhibits what appears to be an allergic reaction. He gets a wet, honking cough. His neck and throat get very itchy after he coughs and he needs to drink water to ease the itch. He may have a hard time falling asleep. His last visit was his worst experience. In the future, we will keep him away from the river.

Can anyone explain his reactions? We have not seen any algae blooms (not that we are experts). I believe there may be farms upstream. He does not experience this in the winter.

Thank you.

Helpful Tips

Herbal health care product
Herbs Solutions By Nature is just the right destination for all those who have been looking for a herbal cure to their relevant disease. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center