Can Cetirizine 10mg be cut in half?
DeeMcD1 posted:
Cetirizine (Zyrtec) is the only medication that really helps my allergies. I don't take it because it puts me to sleep! I take Loratadine which does nothing. I was thinking if i could cut the Cetirizine 10mg in half and only take 5 mg a day maybe i wouldn't be so tired.

Does anyone know if you can cut the pill in half? I have heard that it is not recommend to do that with certain medications. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Denise

Aqua14 responded:
I would say, call a pharmacist and check to make sure. But in my opinion, yes, you could safely do that. Zyrtec is not one of those extended-release meds that you have to be careful about splitting. Personally, I've cut the 10 mg dose in half when I need an extra half-dose on a tough day, and I'm still kicking.

The other thing you could do is to buy the children's 5 mg Zyrtec. I think that's in generic form now too, although in my experience it's harder to find than the 10 mg dosage.

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy

MrMedSaver responded:
There's no problem at all cuting Zyrtec, or cetirizine in half. Although, if it were me I'd just take the full dose at night.

Jacob Milbradt, PharmD