Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can Cetirizine 10mg be cut in half?
DeeMcD1 posted:
Cetirizine (Zyrtec) is the only medication that really helps my allergies. I don't take it because it puts me to sleep! I take Loratadine which does nothing. I was thinking if i could cut the Cetirizine 10mg in half and only take 5 mg a day maybe i wouldn't be so tired.

Does anyone know if you can cut the pill in half? I have heard that it is not recommend to do that with certain medications. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Denise

Aqua14 responded:
I would say, call a pharmacist and check to make sure. But in my opinion, yes, you could safely do that. Zyrtec is not one of those extended-release meds that you have to be careful about splitting. Personally, I've cut the 10 mg dose in half when I need an extra half-dose on a tough day, and I'm still kicking.

The other thing you could do is to buy the children's 5 mg Zyrtec. I think that's in generic form now too, although in my experience it's harder to find than the 10 mg dosage.

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy

MrMedSaver responded:
There's no problem at all cuting Zyrtec, or cetirizine in half. Although, if it were me I'd just take the full dose at night.

Jacob Milbradt, PharmD

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center