Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Are my swollen lips an allergy?
swollenlips78 posted:
What is up with my lips? I am a 29 year-old white male. For about a year now, I have had a strange development with my lips. About twice a month, one of my lips (usually the top) randomly starts to swell on one side or the other. Its always different, but it always starts at just one point somewhere on my upper or lower lip. There is no stinging or irritation. I just start to notice pressure, and part of my lip swells up. Sometimes it just swells a little and goes away. Sometimes it starts with one side of my upper lip and migrates around both lips, swelling just one portion at a time. It lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours. Other than some redness, there is no strange discoloration. Having a scientific background, I have tested every variable I can think of assuming allergy. I am not eating anything new. I have taken away and added in every food, drink, chapstic, toothpaste, mouthwash, and face soap that I use and there is no correlation with any of these things. It just happens once every couple of weeks. I have never had any food allergies, and I didn't start regularly eating anything new in the past year. Thinking outside of allergies, I have been in a monogamous relationship for over 4 years, and my girlfriend has never experienced anything similar. There has never been an open wound associated with the swelling. It doesn't happen any more often when I am stressed or sleep deprived. I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Aqua14 responded:
I think you should consult a good allergist about this. This type of swelling could be what's called angioedema, and can be caused by allergy, some medications (e.g., a blood pressure medication called an ACE inhibitor), an inherited condition (HAE) -- even physical factors like pressure on the skin, heat/cold, stress, exercise. A good allergist skilled in diagnosing and treating hives or angioedema might be able to help you solve this mystery.

Have you tried anything to make the swelling subside? An ice pack, or antihistamine?

Hopefully these ideas may help. Good luck. Judy

swollenlips78 responded:
Thanks Judy, I plan to see a allergist soon. I recently got some benadrile to see what that would do, but the swelling hasn't happened since then. I tried an ice pack once when the swelling was particularly bad, and if anything, it got worse. This made me think cold exposure, but I hadn't been out in the cold, and I have had this happen on hot summer days and at room temp.

simpaint responded:
this evening my wife started to show signs of hives. parts of her body showed bumps and redness. but her lip caught my eye, swollen like an over inflated blimp she has been tossing and turning about the painful itch. needless to say im not asleep. any information would be appreciated.

poppy01606 responded:
I used to have a swollen lip thing. Mine started in the center at first. Later it would start in the center (top lip) and then move outwards, farther each time it happened. Dr said it was an allergic (hive )reaction & to take Benadryl. I pin-pointed it to a frozen brocolli & cheese dish that came in a boiling pouch ( Birds Eye?). I had the reaction within 15 minutes of eating it and some halibut (which I ate more often than I had the reactions.) I stopped eating the brocolli & cheese and have not had this happen again. Prior to this, I'd ate the same dish with no reaction. I just developed an allergy - or maybe they changed their ingredients. Good Luck.

loreta22 responded:
hi, I am a very worried college daughter, and the same thing happened to my mother. well almost the same. she broke out the first time and she took benadryl and it helped her, but the second time, she broke out again AND her lip started swelling also. THe strange thing is that her lip didn't only swell, it also started turning to the side and she couldn't talk at all. This really, really made me worry, so we took her to the doctor and he wasn't able to say, he said it was "hives". He prescribed her medicine and she took it. This was about 3 months ago. Today 12-12, she broke out agian and her lip turned to the side...I am not sure what to do. Just as simpaint is asking for info, I am too..it would be very helpful and at least the info could lead me the right way towards doing my own research if this persists. Thanks!

Freddy703 responded:
Did you ever figure out what was going on with your lips. About a month ago this exact thing started with me and in the last week has happened three times.

Thanks.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Freddy,

Did you try doing a process of elimination and/or recording what you ingest and come in contact with when this occurs? That would be the first step.

Beyond that, see the great advice already given above.

kathy6newfs responded:
Hi swollenlips78 Your post is exactly what has been going on with me since January. It was like I was writing your post. I have no allergies and have kept record of everything I eat or put on my skin or face. At first it was just swelling early in the morning and it would wake me up, but now it's happening about 2 times a week at random times. If I take benadryl as soon as I feel it starting to swell...it will not usually get any worse. I've started taking pictures of my lips because doctors don't believe me.

I googled and came up with possible Facial Cellulitis which is a bacterial infection of the skin. It states using Cephalexin (antibiotic) for 10 days. Couldn't get the doctor to write me a script so my vet did. I've been on them for 4 days now with no swelling yet. Sometimes they don't swell for that period of time, like you I just never know when it's going to happen. Another google brought up Angio Edema. Not so sure it is that tho.

I also have a medical background so I know what to do or not do as well. It's very strange. I started out in Jan with it happening about every three weeks but now it is a bit more often but not necessarily. I'm a 50 year old white female.

Keep in touch if you discover anything and I'll do the same. My email is mcfaddenkathy@dishmail.net

Thanks for posting. It was very interesting to see someone else with exactly the same issue.

Thurxx responded:
I have exactly the same thing. Usually one side of my upper lip begins to swell. there is no pain or discoloration, It simply looks like a very bad callogen injection (in fact my wife makes fun of me).

The first time it happened was on a train from NYC to New Jersey to meet her parents. This was 2 years ago and when I showed up to meet them for the first time I looked like something form the movie "something about Marry".

Anyways, the swelling has gotten progressively more frequent. Today was the first time it has happened to me two days in a row so I ended up here.

I would love to hear any suggestions or reasonings for this. I cannot seem to link it to a certain food. I am also monogomous and a white male of 32.

hereisit responded:
Iam experincing the same reaction as Iam typying right now. Not 2 hrs ago I was kissing my girlfriend and I felt my upper lip on the left hand side starting to swell up. Its the 3rd time in less than 2 weeks this happends to me. first it started with my left eye lid swelling up at work then my upper lips 2 before Today. Its starting to scare me. I have taken Benadryl and it stops the iching almost 2 hours later and puts me to sleep I put ice on it and BIG mistake! my buttom lip also swelled up. I have lips the size of two mini hotdogs! This is terrible! I googled it and it said it could be this thing called "Angioedema" maybe an allergic reaction during which histamine & other chemicals are released into the bloodstream. The body releases histamine when the immune system detects a foreign sudstance called allergen. I don't recall eating anything strange or new. I do take High blood pressure meds. I don't know. my lips are so swollen and feeling so uncomfortable. I can't believe this is happening. please help....

Aqua14 responded:
What kind of med do you take for your high blood pressure? I mentioned in my original response far above in this thread that a blood pressure medication called an ACE inhibitor is known for causing angioedema. A related kind of blood pressure medication called an ARB can also cause this.

If you post the name of your med I could post back some info on this.

Take care & good luck. Judy

bhl54 responded:
Hello, I am in the same situation as everyone else. I am 30 years old, have never had allergies before, but since about July of this year my lips have been swelling. It happens probably once per week, and in varying severities. Today it's just my top lip swollen big, but other days it's both top & bottom. I haven't changed anything recently that I can think of, except for laundry detergent (bought some that was on sale). We did move into a house, but the lips swelled 1 time prior to us moving (while we were still in an apartment). Otherwise my diet has been the same as it's always been. I thought it might be the lip balm I was using (Burt's Bees Wax), but I stopped using that over a week ago yet they swelled this morning. I also have been getting hives for the last few weeks, usually in the morning and at night. It's my stomach & upper legs and arms that will be covered in a good number of hives. They go away after a few hours though. I went to the doctor last week, and they told me that it's most likely an allergy, and that I'd have to start logging what I ate/drank/etc at the time it happened.

jrich224 responded:
Hi my name is Jake i'm 19, I have a problem similar to this. It started monday morning, i started to develop redness on right corner of my lip, it was like that for a day. I went to bed and it proceeded to appear on the left corner of my lip. My lips were swollen and i had to give a presentation for a college class that day. fml. I went to the doctor and he immeadeatly said i had a food allergy, which i have never experinced before. I am currently keeping a list of the foods i eat, starrting last night. Using the trial and error method, but i doubt this is going to nail it down.

This is so unusual for this to happen to me, so i am concered, i'm not fat, but i love food, and i'ts really going to suck if i can't eat soemthing now.

Please Help, any info post or email me at jgrich90@yahoo.com

Thanks

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center